© Mr Richard Newell
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH ROAD
BURGESS HILL, MID SUSSEX, WEST SUSSEX
Mr Richard Newell
04 July 2002
22 April 1950
Date of last amendment:
27 November 1975
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ 31 NW BURGESS HiLL CRESCENT ROAD
1/1 The Parish Church of
Church. 1861-3 with vestry added in 1889. Architect T Talbot Bury. Gothic style. Polychrome brickwork in Flemish bond. Red brick with diaper designs in black and yellow brick and stone dressings. Tiled roof with bands of plain and fishscale tiles. Three and a half bay nave, north and south aisles, south porch, transepts, chancel and NW tower with spire. NW tower of3 stages. Top or bell stage has double trefoil windows with circular window above and tall gables with iron crosses. Angel waterspouts at corners. Double trefoil lancets to middle stage and arched doorcase to ground floor. Deep plinth. Buttresses. Diaper patterns. Tiled spire with bands of plain and fishscale tiles. Nave west end has traceried window with five trefoiled lights. Clerestorey has two double and two triple quatrefoil windows. South aisle has double or triple trefoil windows; north aisle has three gables. Gabled south porch with colonnettes and triple window. South transept has rose window with two double trefoiled windows beneath and lancets to sides. North transept similar but with lancets below rose window and arched doorcase below. Chancel has traceried east window and double trefoil windows to sides with quatrefoils above. Attached polygonal vestry to north east. This and the north transept have been converted into a parish hall and pastoral centre.
INTERIOR; Nave of three and a half bays, the west end having originally had a gallery. Octagonal columns to arcade. Arched braced roof with kingposts. Octagonal font and original pews. Lectern and pulpit of wood gilded. Elaborate wooden chancel screen. Marble and stone altar. Chancel roof a more elaborate arch braced type. Stained glass in south aisle by Mayer and Co of Munich and London and the East window could also be by the same firm. Although the walls have been whitewashed some of the polychrome brickwork is showing through in the chancel. C20 screen has closed off north transept and north aisle from rest of church.