You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 302215  

Print Page



© Mr Robin Earl LRPS

IoE Number: 302215
Location: THE OLD HOUSE, ASHACRE LANE (north side)
  WORTHING, WORTHING, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Robin Earl LRPS
Date Photographed: 26 July 2001
Date listed: 11 October 1949
Date of last amendment: 23 May 1996
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ASHACRE LANE5406(North Side)DurringtonThe Old House

TQ 1205 WORTHING ASHACRE LANE 10/78 Number 54 (even) 11.10.49 The Old House GV II House. Probable C15 open hall, ceiled over and chimney inserted in early C17 when a parlour wing was added to the east, extensively restored circa 1911. Timberframed building refronted in flint and render with roof mainly tiled but front slope of roof to original wing retaining Horsham stone slabs. Channelled brick stack to centre of original wing, external brick and flint stack to east of parlour wing and probable C18 brick stack to rear range. L-shaped plan. Two storeys, with attics to parlour wing; 5 windows. Front has former hall house of 3 bays to left. Three gabled dormers and three casement windows, all with early C20 leaded lights. Projecting parlour wing to right has gable hung with plain and fishscale tiles, 1;2;1 casements with leaded lights and early C20 porch on slender wooden columns and four panelled door. Rear elevation has circa 1911 gabled projection forming stair turret, two storey C17 or C18 service wing to right with one storey offices at end. Three leaded light casements. Interior has crownpost roof to original open hall with curved tiebeam, octagonal crown post with 4 headbraces, collar beam and rafters. The square crownpost to the smaller bedroom has a collar beam which is a reused beam from the top of a wallplate retaining the notches of the rafters. Ground floor has dining room with early C17 cross beams with 2 inch chamfers with lambstongue stops, c1911 stone fireplace and wooden panelling. Sitting room has open fireplace with moulded bressumer with crane marks and 2 salt recesses, but the seats and arched doorcases are early C20. Chamfered spine beam supported on wooden corbel. A series of plank doors probably assembled c1911 out of older floorboards. Parlour wing shows few visible signs of early C17 origin apart from a chamfered beam with lambs tongue stop on the first floor. The attic floor of this wing is boarded over. Old sales particulars indicate that this property was known as Cutler's House in 1795 and was later subdivided into three cottages. Later it became a farmhouse but was restored in 1911 and became a residence.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.