You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 302248  

Print Page



© Mr Robin Earl LRPS

IoE Number: 302248
Location: WEST TARRING CHURCH (ST ANDREW'S), CHURCH ROAD (south side)
  WORTHING, WORTHING, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Robin Earl LRPS
Date Photographed: 28 January 2001
Date listed: 11 October 1949
Date of last amendment: 21 May 1976
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TQ 1304 SW CHURCH ROAD 753/15/59 West Tarring 11-OCT-49 (South side) St Andrews Church (Formerly listed as: CHURCH ROAD West Tarring West Tarring Church (St Andrew's)) GV II* Church. Late C13, C15, and C16; mid-C19 restoration and alterations; 1885 scheme of mosaic decoration, designed by William Butterfield and installed by itinerant Italian mosaicists employed by Burke & Co. Knapped flint, re-set mid-C19, with stone dressings. Graduated Horsham slate to chancel and porch roofs; wood shingles to spire; 1950s plain-tile roofs to nave and aisles. Plan: C13 5-bay aisled nave with clerestorey and central north and south porches (mid-C19); lower C15 2-bay chancel; C15 west tower with C16 spire. In Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, having: quoins to angles; buttresses with ashlar off-sets; quoined pointed-arched openings, principal ones with hoodmoulds; corbelled raised verges with ashlar copings and gable crosses; off-set stepped ashlar copings to embattled 4-stage tower. Nave: 4 small windows to clerestorey and aisles; taller aisle east- and west-end windows, the former of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil over. Tower: west end: large angle butt resses; door in moulded surround with hoodmould; replacement panel tracery to window over door; narrow trefoil-headed light above, and 2-light window to upper stage with reticulated tracery. North side: windows to 3rd and 4th stages similar. South side: similar 3rd-stage light; 4th stage has window of paired cusped lights with wooden lattice. Similar window to east side, below clock face and with oculus on south side. Vice at south-east angle has small rectangular chamfered lights. Octagonal spire with weather-cock. Chancel: offset plinth. Central butress. 2-light windows with renewed tracery; restored 5-light east window with cusped tracery to head. Late-C20 semi-subterranean vestry attached to south side of nave. Interior: nave: pointed-arched arcades with simply-moulded bases and capitals to circular columns; continuous hoodmoulds with carved pendants. Double piscina in south-east corner has moulded, cusped, architrave and bowls in the form of a trefoil and a quatrefoil. Mid-C19 chancel arch, crown-post roof, pulpit, lectern and some surviving floor tiles. 1885 mosaics above aisle arcades and tower arch depicting the 12 apostles set above the apostles creed and portraits of the patriarchs. Tower: arch carried on attached semi-octagonal columns; pointed-arched vice door; early-C18 Stiles family wall monument comprising aedicule with coat-of-arms over; flanking oval memorial tablets; C19 font. Chancel: C15 screen with perpendicular-style tracery, metal spikes, 6 misericords on east side carved with heads and foliage and the decorative panelling returning along chancel north and south walls (part-restored) with contemporary choir-stall fronts and fleur-de-lis finials. Jacobean altar-rail with turned balusters, stylised floral motif to frieze, and acorn finials. Matching contemporary altar table. North porch: commemorative brasses record the installation of the mosaics and their cleaning (1913). Red and black floor tiles. Inner door has moulded pointed arch with leaf terminals on attached columns. Plainer south doorway opposite. Donkin, V, "Mosaics at St Andrew, West Tarring", Church Building, Issue 56, March/April 1999, pp. 62-3. Pevsner, N, The buildings of England, West Sussex, pp. 392-3.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.