You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 302250  

Print Page



© Mr Robin Earl LRPS

IoE Number: 302250
Location: OUR LADY OF SION CONVENT, CRESCENT ROAD (east side)
  WORTHING, WORTHING, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Robin Earl LRPS
Date Photographed: 28 January 2001
Date listed: 21 May 1976
Date of last amendment: 10 January 1977
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CRESCENT ROAD 1. 5406 1/105 (East Side) In the entries for: TQ 1402 NW 1/l051 Oar Lady of Sion Convent TQ 1402 NW 1/1061 Wall of Our Lady of Sion Convent, extending from south-east corner of building, along Crescent Road CRESCENT ROAD (East Side) shall be amended to read: CRESCENT ROAD (West Side) ------------------------------------ CRESCENT ROAD 1. 5406 (East Side) Our Lady of Sion Convent TQ 1402 NW 1/105 II GV 2. Built as one composition with the abutting church, which is attributed to H Clutton and dates from 1864. 2 storeys. Plum-red brick with 2 pairs of bands of dark brick. East range, extending south along street from ritual west end of church, has 5 sash windows, semi-circular staircase projection, and 2 further sash windows south of this. There is a cross-range at the south end, the east front of which projects towards the street and has a round-arch opening (of banded brick with faintly pointed drip-mould above), giving access to internal porch with geometric tile decoration. Left of the porch is a partly external chimney corbelled out over a narrow buttress. Red tile roofs, over brick eaves nogging, which is also applied to the gable end. Further ranges of the convent extend towards Our Lady of Sion School, which adjoins to the west. Our Lady of Sion Convent, and wll extending south form a group with St Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Richmond Road and No 39 Richmond Road.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.