© Norman Wigg
CHURCH OF ST WILFRED, CHURCH ROAD
HAYWARDS HEATH, MID SUSSEX, WEST SUSSEX
25 September 2003
10 September 1951
Date of last amendment:
10 September 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ 32 SW HAYWARDS HEATH CHURCH ROAD
4/111 Church of St Wilfred
Church. 1863-5 by G F Bodley in decorated style. Built of sandstone with tiled
roof having decorative ridge tiles. Central tower, 5 bay nave with clerestory
and lean to aisles with buttresses. South chapel in transept and short chancel
of 1 bay. Tower of 3 stages with SE turret with stepped buttresses and octagonal
turret above. Hipped tiled roof with iron finial. Bell-stage has double pointed
window. Nave has quatrefoil and cinquefoil openings to clerestory. Deep plinth
to aisles whose windows have double original openings and trefoliated heads.
SW gabled porch with cross-shaped saddlestone and arched doorcase with hood
moulding and panelled door. Interior has roof of crown-post type: Tall west
window with intersecting tracery. North walls rest on alternate octagonal
and circular piers. Central tower rests on boldly pointed transverse arches.
East window contains expressionist glass by A Archer 1962-3. Low stone screen,
with alternate rose and fleur-de-lys motifs, separates nave from choir under
tower. South aisle contains some William Morris stained glass of Saints c1870.
South chapel has unusual stained glass depicting soldiers at the front and being
hospitalized during the First World War. Wooden lectern on stone base.
Graded II* for rarity of Bodley Churches. (See Pevsner, Buildings of England,
Sussex, pp 529 and 530.)