© Mr Glyn Edmunds EFIAP,AMPA,ARPS
THE PRIORY CLUB AND SQUASH COURTS, FRANKLYNN ROAD
HAYWARDS HEATH, MID SUSSEX, WEST SUSSEX
Mr Glyn Edmunds EFIAP,AMPA,ARPS
23 August 2007
11 December 1987
Date of last amendment:
11 December 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ 32 SW HAYWARDS HEATH FRANKLYNN ROAD
4/117 The Minstrels Gallery
Restaurant, The Priory
Club and Squash Courts
Restaurant, club and squash courts, formerly a conventual chapel. 1887-88
by Edward Goldie, formerly the chapel to the Priory of Our Lady of Good Counsel
converted with minimal alterations in later C20. Built of red brick with slate
roof to nave and chancel and tiled roof to aisles. 5 bays. Central octagonal
cupola with weathervane. End gables have stone bands and cross-shaped
saddlestones. Nave and chancel have large windows with elaborate tracery and
flying buttresses to aisles. These have Tudor arches with 15 pane "Chinoiserie"
type metal cames. West front has image niche. Internally the space has been
divided vertically with squash courts below and restaurant above with false
floor inserted. West door has stone 4 centred archway with carvings of loaves
and fishes in the spandrels. Cinquefoil-headed stoup. Boarded roof with
modified post and windbrace type roof with quadripartite crown posts. Angel
corbels. East end has fresco of Christ in Majesty. The former carved wooden
reredos has been moved to the east corner of the north wall to form a wine display
unit. It has elaborate painted panels depicting the Sacrifice of Isaac and
other biblical scenes. Fine series of stained glass windows. Attached former
convent accommodation, now offices, not of special interest.
(See Pevsner, Buildings of England, Sussex, p 550).