© Norman Wigg
PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET (east side)
LINDFIELD, MID SUSSEX, WEST SUSSEX
18 September 2003
10 September 1951
Date of last amendment:
10 September 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ 3426 LINDFIELD HIGH STREET
6/209 Parish Church of All Saints
Parish church. Mainly c1300 and C14 restored in C19. Built of sandstone ashlar
with Horsham stone slab roof and the tower having shingled spire with iron weather vane.
Comprises nave of 2 bays with 2 bay lower chancel having W&S chapel, south porch
with parvise above. WEST TOWER C14 built in 3 stages with trefoiled window to west on
bottom stage, lancet to middle stage and oculus to top stage. Offset buttresses.
Broached shingled spire with iron weathervane. SOUTH PORCH C14 gabled with parvise
above having trefoliated headed window. NAVE C14 restored in C19, has arcades of
2 bays, north and south, with octagonal piers. Nave roof is C19 with square braces.
4 octagonal shaped hatchments. C14 font with cusped ogee panels and elaborate C19
wooden cover and pulley mechanism. C19 octagonal wood pulpit carved with scenes
from the Life of Christ, wooden screen and pews. CHANCEL has north and south
chapels with typical late Perpendicular thin piers. 4 shafts and 4 hollows moulding
and four centred arches. East window much restored but Perpendicular windows to
south transept and north chapel. North chapel has marble wall plaque to
John Court Esq d. 1794, an obelisk with oval medallions. South chapel has wall
plaque to Sarah Board d. 1765, draped urn and coat of arms.
(See Pevsner, Buildings of England, E & W Sussex, P.561).