You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 304397  

Print Page



© Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB

IoE Number: 304397
Location: BENWELL TOWERS, BENWELL LANE (north side)
  NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, TYNE AND WEAR
Photographer: Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
Date Photographed: 08 April 2001
Date listed: 17 December 1971
Date of last amendment: 30 March 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NZ 26 SWNEWCASTLE UPON TYNEBENWELL LANE (north side)11/94The Mitre Public House(formerly listed as Benwhll17.12.71Towers).-

NZ 26 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE BENWELL LANE (north side) 11/94 The Mitre Public House (formerly listed as Benwhll 17.12.71 Towers). - GV II House, later bishop's house and chapel, now public house. 1831 by John Dobson for Thomas Crawhall; chapel added 1887. Ashlar with plinth; rendered ashlar and coursed squared sandstone left wing; Welsh slate roof to chapel. Main house roof not visible, other roofs graduated Lakeland slate and Welsh slate. Main house: irregular plan, castle style. 2 high storeys, scattered fenestration. Projecting third bay contains double panelled door in Tudor arch. Windows of 2, 3 and 4 lights, some blind, with chamfered stone mullions and transoms and drip moulds. Battlemented parapet to roof with central turret. Left wing: 2 storeys, 8 bays and 3-bay house at left in plain style; sash windows and blind windows; hipped roofs. Former chapel at rear in Perpendicular style has 4 bays and linking bay with oriel window. Interior shows closed-string stair with barley-sugar balustrade, grip handrail and newels with pendants. Library has Jacobean-style panelling and ceiling. Panelled ceilings with Tudor bosses in other ground floor rooms; marble chimney pieces. Historical note: donated in 1881 by J.W. Pease, the Quaker banker, to the Diocese of Newcastle created in 1882. The previous building on the site, the home of the Shafto family; incorporated a tower house. Sources: W.H.Knowles "Benwell Tower, Newcastle" Archaeologia Aeliana series 2 vol. XIX, pp 88-98; W.S.F. Pickering (ed.) A Social History of the Diocese of Newcastle 1882-1982 1982, pp 47-49.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.