You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 306243  

Print Page



©  Helmut Schulenburg

IoE Number: 306243
Location: UPTON HOUSE,
  RATLEY AND UPTON, STRATFORD ON AVON, WARWICKSHIRE
Photographer: Helmut Schulenburg
Date Photographed: 17 July 2006
Date listed: 07 January 1952
Date of last amendment: 07 January 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

RATLEY AND UPTONUPTONSP34NE3/132Upton House07/01/52

RATLEY AND UPTON UPTON SP34NE 3/132 Upton House 07/01/52 GV II* Country house. 1695. Built for Sir Rushout Cullen, Bt. Possibly designed by one of the Smiths of Warwick. Possibly altered c.1710. Alterations or additions 1735 for William Bumstead. C19 additions. Remodelled 1927-1929 by Percy Morley Horder for the 2nd Viscount Bearsted. Ironstone ashlar; doorcase, attic storey and most of parapet of grey limestone; stone slate hipped roofs; stone ridge stacks with square shafts, string courses and cornices. Double depth plan. Largely symmetrical. 2 storeys, basement and attic; 16-window range. Entrance front of 4:1:2:3:2:1:3 bays. Renewed sashes throughout have thick glazing bars, 18-pane on ground floor, 15-pane on first floor, most in bolection moulded architraves with keystones. One-bay ranges have 24 and 20-pane sashes. Leaded 2-light roof dormers with moulded cornices. Centre and 2-bay ranges have moulded plinth, sill courses stepped up between windows, moulded string course, and cornice. Recessed centre has full-width steps. Central entrance, probably of 1735, has moulded architrave with large keystone, Tuscan half-columns and dosserets with triglyphs, and pediment. Fielded 4-panelled door, with panel above. Early C18 attic storey and broken segmental pediment has moulded round arched window with large keystone breaking into pediment. Shaped sunk panels to left and right. Projecting 2-bay ranges, have rusticated alternating quoins. 2-light mullioned basement windows. Reused lead rainwater heads and pipes dated 1735 have initials and coat of arms of William Bumstead. Central segmental pedimented roof dormers. One-bay ranges, largely of 1927-29, have central roof dormers. Cornices and parapets with balustrading above each bay. 4-bay range to left has stone lintels with keystones to all openings. Subsidiary entrance in third bay has second lintel and moulded 6-panelled door. 4-bay and 3-bay ranges have unpainted moulded wood eaves cornice and roof dormers. Attached outbuildings to left include one storey and attic kitchen wing and coach house with gable clock and octagonal lantern. Basement picture gallery attached on right. Garden front of 1:2:9:2:1 bays. Mostly 18-pane sashes with 15-pane on first floor. Basement has 2-light mullioned windows with hood moulds. Recessed centre has tall narrow central entrance of 1695. Grey limestone moulded architrave, panelled pilaster strips, entablature and segmental pediment. Splayed steps with wrought iron balustrades of c.1695. Projecting 2-bay wings have rusticated alternating quoins. Wide one-bay ranges have broad canted bays with 24- and 20-pane sashes. Lower part C19, raised and remodelled 1927-29. Basements have segmental arched windows with keystones. First floor has small flanking windows. Unpainted moulded wood eaves cornice and roof dormers throughout. Lead rainwater heads dated 1695 have initials of Sir Rushout Cullen. Interior remodelled. Entrance hall has open well staircase of reused twisted balusters with leaf bulbs. Early C18 stone chimney piece has overmantel with panel, volutes and open pediment. Dining Room has early C18 marble chimney piece with bulging Ionic pilasters. C16 moulded 4-centred arched doorway in basement. (Upton House, Warwickshire, Architectural Review, Vol. LXIX, April 1931, pp.125-131; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.439; G. Jackson-Stops, Upton House, Warwickshire; (The National Trust); Country Life, Vol. XVI, 10th September 1904; Vol. XLVI, 5th and 12th September 1936).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.