© Helmut Schulenburg
WARWICK, WARWICK, WARWICKSHIRE
03 November 2002
10 January 1953
Date of last amendment:
10 January 1953
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1781 Warwick Castle
SP 2864 NW 1/301 10.1.53.
Early site, probably dating from pre-Norman times. Much mediaeval work
remains. Good C18 and later additions. In 1871 a fire gutted the Great
Hall and East Wing, these being restored by Anthony Salvin. This castle,
(containing a fine collection of antiques and works of art) is considered
of very great national interest. Main block with C14 walls and vaulted
undercroft. Caesan's tower and Guy's tower, the Gatehouse and its Barbican
also C14. The curtain walls may date from this period. Bear and Clarence
towers C15, left incomplete 1485 and later given battlements; probably
intended as a stronghold within the castle similar to that at Raglan.
Late C17 internal features include exceptional plasterwork and wood carvings
to the Cedar Room by Roger and William Hurlbut, completed 1678. Altered
1753-5 by Lancelot Brown, who rebuilt the porch and stairway to the Great
Hall. Porch extended forward and additional rooms built beside it, 1763-9,
by Timothy Lightoler. Watergate tower restored by A Salvin 1861-3. AM.
VCH, viii, pp.454-64.
Warwick Castle, with its Boundary Walls, Stables, Conservatory, Mill
and Lodge form a group.