You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 308111  

Print Page



© Mr Walter Chinn

IoE Number: 308111
Location: PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS, SOUTHAM ROAD
  RADFORD SEMELE, WARWICK, WARWICKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Walter Chinn
Date Photographed: 14 August 2001
Date listed: 11 April 1967
Date of last amendment: 11 April 1967
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

RADFORD SEMELESoutham Road16/239Parish Church ofSaint Nicholas11.4.67

RADFORD SEMELE Southam Road 16/239 Parish Church of Saint Nicholas 11.4.67 GV II Parish church. Built early in C12 and enlarged in Cl4 when tower erected. However, practically entirely rebuilt in 1889 with the exeption of tower and south wall of the nave. The cost of this rebuilding (£2,200) was defrayed by John Francis-Greswolde-Williams, the patron of the living and lord of the manor. The work was designed by Mesrs R Rowe and Son, architects, of Worcester, and carried out by Councillor Dawkes of Leamington. Walls of ashlar faced except south wall of nave which is of random rubble. Steeply pitched plain tile roof. Apart from a three-light east window with Perpendicular tracery to chancel, the other windows to the main body of the church are mainly of two-trefoiled lights. However, in south wall of nave is a small C12 window of which the round head is in one stone and it has a hood mould with square stops. There is an 1889 rose window above the south doorway, the latter with two moulded orders is of C14 date. The Perpendicular west tower is of two stages, with angle buttresses terminating just below the embattled parapet. In its west face is a window of three cinquefoiled lights. Interior: The chancel arch is pointed, and of two chamfered orders supported on short shafts with foliated capitals resting on corbels. The nave opens into north aisle by an arcade of three pointed arches with moulded piers. The nave opens into the tower by a lofty two-centred arch of two chamfered orders, the imposts being cut back as square pilasters. Reredos of Caen stone, four columns supporting three canopies with carved mouldings and finials - given by Dr Blunt in memory of his Mother.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.