You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 308143  

Print Page

© Dr John Airlie Hunter

IoE Number: 308143
Photographer: Dr John Airlie Hunter
Date Photographed: 16 September 2004
Date listed: 30 November 1982
Date of last amendment: 30 November 1982
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

STONELEIGH6/271Stables and Riding School100 yards north-east of30.11.82Stoneleigh Abbey

STONELEIGH 6/271 Stables and Riding School 100 yards north-east of 30.11.82 Stoneleigh Abbey GV II* Stables. 1814 by Charles S Smith of Warwick. Red sandstone ashlar in neo-Tudor style. The stable range is D shaped on plan with the stables in half circle to north with coach houses, tack room, feed stores, grooms' cottages along east-west axis to south. Internal cobbled courtyard. The main entrance is on the west and consists of a two storey central section with four-centre archway with hood mould and large wooden doors, flanked by single storey wings to left and right. Projecting octagonal angle pilasters with turrets and embattled parapets. Above central entrance way a long square headed stone mullioned window of six leaded lights with drip mould above. Central blocked panel to the window with heraldic crest. The flanking portions each have a square headed stone mullioned three light casement with leaded panes and drip mould above. Interior: early C19 wooden stalls with doors to stable range. Rib vaulted ceilings. Riding School. 1820 by Charles S Smith of Warwick. Attached to south of stables. Red sandstone ashlar with embattled parapet. Low pitched hipped slate roof. Two storeys. Three 4-centred arches form loggia at ground floor and three square headed 3-light casements with leaded lights and drip moulds. Octagonal stair turret at south-west end of facade leads to the first floor balcony inside at western end.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.