You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 308867  

Print Page



© Dr John Airlie Hunter

IoE Number: 308867
Location: ANSTY HALL,
  ANSTY, RUGBY, WARWICKSHIRE
Photographer: Dr John Airlie Hunter
Date Photographed: 23 June 2006
Date listed: 04 December 1951
Date of last amendment: 04 December 1951
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for ANSTY Ansty Hall 7/1 The grade shall be amended to read: II*(star) ------------------------------------ ANSTY SP48SW 7/1 Ansty Hall 04/12/51 - II Country house. Dated l678; third storey and one-bay wings added 1800; mid/late C19 wing to rear. Built for Edward Taylor. Altered for the Adams family. Brick with limestone dressings and moulded cornice. Slate shallow hipped roofs have deep eaves; large rendered ridge stacks have moulded cornices. Central staircase plan. Carolean style. 3 storeys; 1:2:3:2:1 bays. Symmetrical entrance front has slightly projecting pedimented centre. Moulded stone plinth. Centre and angles have rusticated alternating quoins. String courses. Flush 6-panelled door and overlight with decorative glazing in moulded stone architrave. Doorcase of panelled pilasters, consoles and breakfront entablature with moulded shaped datestone and paterae, and open pediment. Sashes have moulded eared architraves. Ground floor windows have pulvinated friezes abutting string course. First floor windows have brick aprons. Second floor has 6-pane sashes in moulded architraves. Wings are set back and have separate roofs. One-storey quadrant projections to front of wings have stone-coped brick parapets, and sashes with brick flat arches. Left wing has blocked first-floor window. Garden front to rear. 2:3:2-bay main range has details similar to entrance front, but additions are plain, without quoins or dressings. Central door has moulded architrave with pulvinated frieze. Staircase window immediately above has brick panel over. Third and fifth bays have shorter windows, with aprons to ground floor also. Sixth and seventh bays have 15-pane sashes to ground floor, lengthened c.1800. Second floor has 6-pane sashes to third and fifth bays and between first and second and sixth and seventh bays. Wings are set back slightly, with first-floor string course at different level to main range. On first floor, left wing has 2 windows of differing sizes. Additions have sashes with rusticated stone flat arches and keystones throughout. Irregular wing at right angles on left has plain-tile roof. Interior: panelled entrance hall has large bolection-moulded stone fireplace and diagonally-set stone-flagged floor. Double-leaf moulded 6-panelled doors to drawing room to left and dining room to right. Screen to staircase has central moulded basket arch, of c.1800, and bolection-moulded openings with panelled reveals to left and right. Drawing room has bolection panelling and strongly moulded cornice and full-height pilaster panels flanking mid C19 grey marble fireplace with shells carved in relief to angles. Wide opening to quadrant addition of c.1800 panelled in similar style. Dining room, remodelled c.1800, has Ionic screen of 2 columns and half-antae, and egg-and-dart and anthemion cornice. Painted wood fireplace has fluted pilasters with jewel work and blind fret frieze. Open well staircase of 1678 has openwork scroll balustrade with heavy moulded handrail and panelled newels, and large moulded square finials and drops. Bolection-panelled dado throughout. Library to left has double-leaf 6-panelled doors. Bolection panelling and overmantel. Mid C19 grey marble fireplace with corner roundels. Landing has bolection doorcases, paired to left and right, and panelled reveals, mostly with moulded 6-panelled doors. Central room has early C19 painted wood fireplace with fluted Ionic half-columns. Room to left has bolection-panelled dado and 3-panelled door to dressing room. Simple moulded fireplace. Room to right has some bolection panelling. Fireplace has moulded eared architrave, stepped up in centre to cornice. 2-panel door to C17 back staircase with large turned balusters. Another secondary staircase has turned balusters. Room on right to rear has bolection-panelled dado, with narrow panels flanking moulded fireplace. Moulded panelled overmantel has narrow flanking panels. Early C19 recess has wide basket arch and built-in cupboards. Room on left has panelled dado. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, p.56; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.67; Peter Reid: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Vol.II: Herefordshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, pp.126-7; G.C. Tyack: Country House Building in Warwickshire, 1500-1914, p.269).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.