You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 308968  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 308968
Location: PACKINGTON HALL, PACKINGTON PARK
  GREAT PACKINGTON, NORTH WARWICKSHIRE, WARWICKSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 11 November 1952
Date of last amendment: 23 March 1988
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

GREAT PACKINGTONPACKINGTON PARKSP28SW8/63Packington Hall11/11/52(Formerly listed as Packington

GREAT PACKINGTON PACKINGTON PARK SP28SW 8/63 Packington Hall 11/11/52 (Formerly listed as Packington Hall and Stable block) GV II* Mansion house. Late C17 origin, but remodelled and recased 1766 by Matthew Brettingham for 3rd Earl of Aylesford. Henry Couchman was the clerk of works. He completed the work externally c.1772. Interiors of 1782 are by Joseph Bonomi for 4th Earl. Ceiling paintings executed c.1800 by J.F. Rigaud. Other artists and craftsmen who worked here include Dominic Bartoli (scagliola work) and Joseph Rose and Mr. Cryer (plasterers). Grey sandstone ashlar. Roof plan of 4 ranges with central flat. The centre part of the roof was rebuilt c.1980 following a fire in 1979 which damaged the attic storey and parts of the lower storeys. Symmetrically disposed ashlar chimney stacks with entablatures. Main block has central hall with flanking principal rooms and gallery at south-west end. The service range is to the north end. 2 storeys and attic. Principal front to the south-east in nine bays with rusticated ground storey. Slightly projecting 3-bay centre with upper giant pilasters and pediment. Doorway approached by flight of 4 stone steps. Portal of 2 Ionic pillars and 2 Ionic columns. Raised and fielded panelled doors. Raised surrounds to 12-pane hung sashes, except for those at attic storey which are of 6-panes. The first floor windows have pulvinated friezes and cornices. End bays project slightly and first floor windows are balustraded. West front. The centre has attached giant unfluted Ionic columns, originally with a loggia behind them. End bays have windows with similar raised surrounds and console brackets as those on the east front. Above each is a blank panel with a garland. Interior: From 1782 Joseph Bonomi worked on the interior of Packington Hall for 4th Earl of Aylesford. The ceiling paintings were executed by J.F. Rigaud, c.1800. The hall, music room, staircase, Pompeian room, dining room, library and small dining room all have schemes designed by Bonomi. The music room originally housed an organ, now in the church, which was used by Handel. The Pompeian room was intended as a sculpture gallery but was remodelled by Bonomi as a setting for the Etruscan vases collected by the 4th Earl. The main staircase has recently been restored (1986). The dome to the secondary staircase has been removed following the fire of 1979. Bookcases are by Henry Hakewill, 1828, (M. Binney: Country Life, CXLVIII, p 102,266; Buildings of England: Marwickshirei p298; VCH: Warwickshire, Vol IV)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.