You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 309173  

Print Page



© Mr Alfred John Dyson LRPS

IoE Number: 309173
Location: BAXTERLEY CHURCH,
  BAXTERLEY, NORTH WARWICKSHIRE, WARWICKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Alfred John Dyson LRPS
Date Photographed: 20 July 2001
Date listed: 25 March 1968
Date of last amendment: 25 March 1968
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BAXTERLEYSP29NE1/81Baxterley Church25/03/68-II

BAXTERLEY SP29NE 1/81 Baxterley Church 25/03/68 - II Church; dedication unknown. Chancel of c.1200. Nave possibly C14, with C16/C17 west front, but otherwise very largely rebuilt and north aisle, vestry and porch added c.1875 by Paull and Bickerdike. Various sandstones. Chancel and nave east wall mostly of coursed squared rubble. Nave, aisle, vestry and porch of regular coursed stone. Timber framed porch has rendered infill. Plain-tile roofs have coped gable parapets, with trefoiled gablet kneelers to nave and aisle and cross finials. Chancel, nave with west bell turret, north aisle and porch, north vestry. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has C19 north-east and south-east buttresses; remains of old south buttress. C19 triple east lancets. Round-arched slit window to south. Restored C15 south low-side window is unglazed, with bars and C19 shutter. Vestry has 3-light straight-headed east window with re-set C15 trefoiled ogee heads. North gable. Chamfered round-arched north doorway has blind tympanum and hood mould, and plank door. Octagonal stack with open turret in angle of vestry, nave and aisle. Nave is off axis to the south. East wall has C19 window with cusped Y-tracery, with some C19 masonry above. South side has three C19 buttresses. Window with cusped Y-tracery. Trefoiled western lancet. West front has square C17 bell turret. 2 buttresses have offsets with ogee gablets and upper gables. Small straight-headed one-light window, between buttresses; larger blocked windows to left and right. Central upper window of 2 round-arched lights with string course above forming a hood. Smaller round-arched lights to left and right. Bell turret has straight-headed 2-light louvred west window and bell chamber openings. Moulded cornice and embattled parapet with simple pinnacles. C19 buttress between nave and aisle. Aisle has porch to third bay with ribbed double-leaf doors. Chamfered doorway with plank door inside. 2-light east and north-east windows have simple geometrical tracery. Central and western windows have cusped Y-tracery. Interior is plastered. Chancel has two C19 plain sedilia. C19 wagon roof. C12 chancel arch, reconstructed 1958, has fluted imposts and hood mould. North arcade of 2 chamfered orders has octagonal pillars with moulded capitals. West turret and supporting walls portrude into nave and have simple moulded round arch. C19 nave and aisle roofs. Fittings: C15 octagonal font has shields to alternate faces, C19 pews etc. C19 stained glass. Monuments: north aisle north wall: Thomas Shaw 1772. Bolection moulded panel. Nave south wail: Boultbec family 1806 etc. Triple panel and urns Turret south wall: Thomas Strong 1723. Round-arched panel in architectural frame with shield and cornice above and winged skull below, (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p87; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, p26)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.