You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 310499  

Print Page



© Mr Robert Albright

IoE Number: 310499
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, THE GREEN (north side)
  ALDBOURNE, KENNET, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Robert Albright
Date Photographed: 01 August 1999
Date listed: 22 August 1966
Date of last amendment: 22 August 1966
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SU 27 NEALDBOURNETHE GREEN(north side)9/39Church of St. Michael

SU 27 NE ALDBOURNE THE GREEN (north side) 9/39 Church of St. Michael 22.8.66 GV I Anglican parish church. C13 - C15. Flint and limestone, some chequer work. Some sarsen and limestone ashlar tower. Lead and slate roofs. Nave, and aisles. Transepts. Chancel with north and south chapels. Tall south porch formerly 2-storey, and infill chamber between porch and transept. West tower. Elevation to south with 4-light Tudor arched windows, 3-light and cusped to clerestory. 3-light Perpendicular windows to transepts and to east end of chancel side chapels. Chancel has lancets, triple to east end. Aisles and nave walls crenellated. Tower, erected 1460 by Richard Goddard, of 3 stages with large angle buttresses decorated with crocketed triangular projections. West door with 4-centred arch with 2 casement mouldings and label with figured terminals. 2-stage 4-light window above door and flanking vaulted and crocketed niches. Bell stage with quatrefoil pierced transennae, also of 2 cusped stages. Panelled parapet with grotesque gargoyles. No pinnacles. Bronze bench mark. Interior: Nave of 4 bays, c1200. Chalkstone on drum columns and circular abaci. Pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders, the inner order of westernmost half round. South side decorated with horizontal zig-zag and lobed ornamentation. Transepts of 1 bay mid C15 with attached columns between hollow chamfers. Chancel of 1 open bay and east sanctuary with lancets. Nave roof low pitched with higher roof over by William Butterfield 1863-67, 8 and half bays, moulded ties intermediate principals and purlins. Boarding over rafters. Similar roofs to north aisle and transepts, and to both chancel chapels, the southern ceiled between the purlins. Rood stair in north-east pier of crossing, and brackets for figures. The outer face of the south nave door is round headed, with horizontal zig-zag and elementary dog-tooth, and restored nook shafts. North chapel has squint to High Altar and damaged piscina, and ogee headed niche to left of east window, with original red paint. South chapel includes vestry enclosed with C18 panelling. Bay between south transept and porch now children's corner, has panelled intrados to aisle and transept and corbelled stair to former upper room of porch, the stair removed by Butterfield when north porch removed. Fittings: Perpendicular screen between transept and south chapel, much restored in C18 and later. Also some medieval work in north chancel screen. Font probably C15 with lozenge panels. Pulpit c1600; highly carved hexagon on 6 wooden columns. Lectern C19 oak. Other fittings of C19. Monuments: Chancel: Chest tomb, 1510, limestone, to JOHN STONE, quatrefoil panels with central shields. Alabaster top incised with figure of vicar holding chalice. Inscribed border, Oval wall tablet, 1794, white and grey marble, to NEATE family, by Brewer of Box. Tablet, 1812 Oval white and grey marble, to JOHN NEATE, by Brewer of Box. Tablet 1833, white marble on black, to STEPHEN AND ANNA MARIA NEATE, sarcophagus. Unsigned. Wall tablet, 1829 White marble on black, to ANNA BROWN, small sarcophagus, by Pound of Newbury. White tablet, 1843, white and black marble, to CAPT. HENRY SEAGRAVE, governor of The Gambia. Anchor on chest, by Harrison of Marlborough. North Chapel: Wall monument to EDWARD AND WILLIAM WALROND, brothers, c1615. Marble. Chest with arms in cartouche and flying dragons, and strapwork on returns. Above, facing kneeling figures in niches flanked by marble Ionic columns on strapwork pedestals. Strapwork cresting with hog terminals. South Chapel: Wall stone, 1681, to JOHN NORRIS. South Transept: Monument, 1615, chalkstone, probably to RICHARD GODDARD of Upham and family. Large chest with strapwork and foliage. Metal shields missing, Goddard, wife and children kneeling on chest, facing outwards, 3 mustachioed boys and 1 girl. Recessed arches to rear, formerly with metal plates, between marbled Corinthian columns supporting gilded entablature. Masks and foliage in spandrils over arches. Long strapwork cresting over, with central arms and crown terminal. Panelled and coloured obelisks at corners. A fine monument with good detail of costume. Scroll over south door, 1786, to THOMAS GODDARD. Children's Corner: Hatchment, argent, a chevron gules and three sheaves also gules. DEO PRO NOBIS. North Aisle: Wall tablet, 1852, to Rev. JOHN SEAGRAM, by Harrison of Marlborough. Tablet, 1842, white panel on black marble, to BROOME WITTS and 15 ancestors (sic). Tablet, 1821, white marble on black, to RICHARD WITTS of New York and relatives. North Aisle: Royal Arms of Queen Anne. Nave: 3 commemorative ringing boards, 1806, 1837 and 1840. Brasses: South Chapel: Richard Goddard of Upham and wife, 1495. His dates not completed. Probably the builder of the tower. Dr. Henry Frekylton, chaplain, 1508. Clerical figure with book and inscription. Miscellaneous: South Aisle: Late C16 early C17 chest. Transept: North Persian carpet of 4 stripes and 3 medallions. C19. North Aisle: 2 timber fire engines, ADAM and EVE, Bristow of London. References: Pevsner, [(Buildings of England: Wiltshire).]

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.