You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 310728  

Print Page



© Mr Andy Domeracki

IoE Number: 310728
Location: DUCHESS OF SOMERSET ALMSHOUSE AND HOSPITAL AND CHAPEL, BATH ROAD (north side)
  FROXFIELD, KENNET, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Andy Domeracki
Date Photographed: 03 May 2001
Date listed: 22 August 1966
Date of last amendment: 30 July 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

FROXFIELDBATH ROADSU 26 NEand SU 36 NW(north side)2/8, 3/8Somerset Hospital(formerly listed as Duchess of

FROXFIELD BATH ROAD SU 26 NE and SU 36 NW (north side) 2/8, 3/8 Somerset Hospital (formerly listed as Duchess of Somerset Almshouse and Hospital and Chapel) 22.8.66 GV II* 50 charity dwellings and chapel (q.v.) 1694, 1775 and 1813. Built for Duchess of Somerset and known as The College. Red brick with vitrified brick banding and tiled roofs. Dwellings are arranged round a large rectangular court with gatehouse of 1813 in centre of south elevation. Each dwelling is of 2 storeys, 1 bay with lateral door to stair passage, living room and narrow kitchen. Eastern half, of 1694, has door and windows in ogee moulded stone surrounds, the boarded door with small timber canopy and lattice sides. Two-light windows with brick relieving arches over surround. Brick dentilled eaves. Western half, of 1775 without stone detail, brick plat band and leaded timber windows. South elevation has some blind windows and boxed eaves throughout. Central gatehouse of 1813, stone, tall buttresses and tall moulded carriage openings with Tudor arch. Three quatrefoil lights to upper level and crenellated parapet. Roof pitched carrying clock tower and bell turret with apex wind vane. Dedicatory inscription over entrance. Sun dial on internal rear facade. (Rev. A.G.Barley, Old Froxfield.)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.