© Mr B.J.W. Heath
CROFTON PUMPING STATION,
GREAT BEDWYN, KENNET, WILTSHIRE
Mr B.J.W. Heath
19 July 2004
01 May 1985
Date of last amendment:
01 May 1985
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
GREAT BEDWYN CROFTON
SU 26 SE
5/93 Crofton Pumping Station
Pumping Station for the Kennet and Avon Canal Co. 1802-9, John
Rennie, chief engineer, enlarged 1843 and restored 1971. Group of
buildings comprising engine house, boiler house, side boiler house
and various attached structures. Pumphouse of brickwork, English
bond, with hipped large slate roof. Four-storey 4 window bays.
Entrance off centre on north gable, round headed, with access
across header leat. Lower boiler house attached by gable to south,
brick with slate roof and large fanlight. Engine house with 12-
pane sashes, 6-pane to top floor. Boiler house with gable window.
Further boiler house to side of 1843.
Interior: Engine house has 2 pumping engines, No 1, of 1812 by
Boulton and Watt with condenser and parallel motion. Six-ton 9 m
cast iron beam. Valves modified 1843 and condenser relocated. No
2 engine by Harvey & Co of Hayle, 1843, cylinder replaced 1903.
Both engines 1.066 m cylinder bore, 2.44 m stroke raising 1 ton of
water each stroke, 12 and 9 strokes per minute respectively. Water
is raised 12.19 m from a tunnel from the reservoir and canal pound
supplemented from canal lock No 63 after 1847. Water is laundered
into header leat (now derelict) leading to summit of canal 1500 m
to the west, above lock 62. Boilers of Lancashire type replacing
originals in 1896. 8.2 m x 2.28 m diameter. A subsidiary pump was
installed 1826 to supply water to Tottenham House (q.v.). The
engines are the earliest steam beam engines still in working order.
The pumping station is the key element in an important group of
industrial and utilitarian monuments in Crofton, which also
includes the reservoir outfall (q.v.) locks (q.v.), the Great
Western Railway and a 1939-45 pillbox.