You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 311642  

Print Page



© Mr B.J.W. Heath

IoE Number: 311642
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS,
  ALTON, KENNET, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: Mr B.J.W. Heath
Date Photographed: 27 July 2000
Date listed: 27 May 1964
Date of last amendment: 27 May 1964
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ALTONALTON PRIORSSU 16 SW5/9Church of All Saints27.5.64II*

ALTON ALTON PRIORS SU 16 SW 5/9 Church of All Saints 27.5.64 II* Anglican parish church, now with the Redundant Churches Fund. C12, C14, C15 and C18. Limestone and malmstone rubble, ashlar to tower and chancel of brick. Lead and slate roofs. Nave with the west tower and C18 chancel set asymmetrically replacing medieval chancel in same position. Entrance under tower, the two side doors blocked. Two-light ogee square-headed windows to nave. West tower of 2 stages; angle buttresses and 3-light C15 west window with 2- light bell openings, all with deep casement mouldings. Chancel has low pitched roof-and 2-light windows. Interior: Tower arch tall and panelled, with C20 screen to nave. Nave wide, an aisle arcade probably removed. Three bays low pitched roof. Door to rood screen and small piscina. Cl2 chancel arch with beaded moulded imposts. Chancel of 3 bays with step to sanctuary and late C17 turned oak baluster rails. Font: C19. Limestone. Octagonal. C17 carved frontals to choir seating. Monuments: In sanctuary, chest tomb against north wall, 1590, limestone. Chest with frieze of plain shields. Raised aedicule over, with grey marble columns and flat pediment carrying crest in a roundel. In the centre an elaborate brass to Sir William Button, showing him rising from his coffin and gazing at the opening gates of heaven. Inscriptions. Also a floor brass of 1528. On the south wall, a white marble tablet of 1769 with a small crest, to Elizabeth Burroughs. Two C20 tablets in nave. Furniture: In sanctuary, C17 chair and early C18 altar table. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of Engand, Wiltshire, p88; Combined churches guide of 1970)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.