You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 311917  

Print Page



©  Gill Cardy ARPS

IoE Number: 311917
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET (south side)
  CHEVERELL MAGNA, KENNET, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: Gill Cardy ARPS
Date Photographed: 24 January 2002
Date listed: 19 March 1962
Date of last amendment: 19 March 1962
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CHEVERELL MAGNACHURCH STREETST 95 SE(south side)5/13Church of St Peter19.3.62

CHEVERELL MAGNA CHURCH STREET ST 95 SE (south side) 5/13 Church of St Peter 19.3.62 I Anglican parish church. Cll, C13, C14-C15, and restored 1868 by W.H. Woodman of Reading. Limestone ashlar, greensand burr foundation to tower, chancel of malmstone and flint. Stone tiled roof. Nave with south porch, chancel with C19 north vestry, north chapel, and west tower. Chancel probably Cll, herringbone walling, with inserted C13 lancets, one each side, a low side C14 window and C19 three-light east window. South priest's door blocked. Nave late C14-early C15 square headed windows of 3 lights. South porch added, probably early C15, has angle buttresses and 4-centred outer doorway. C14 west tower, possibly incorporating earlier work, limestone with flint panels, a tall lower stage and raised in C15 with bell stage with 2-light openings and octagonal stair tower rising above crenellated parapet. Windvane. Three-light west window, restored and asymmetrical small door below. Interior: C15 porch has high side sills and late C14 inner door with pointed arch. Trussed rafter roof with knee braces and curved ashlars. Remains of stoup. Door also probably C15, cross boarded with clenched studs. Lock of C18. Nave rendered and colourwashed in C19. C15-C16 barrel vault with moulded wall plates and ribs and stretchers dividing plaster panels. Carved bosses at intersections. Tower arch double hollow chamfered. Chancel arch C19, Bath stone, of same width as chancel and inner attached shafts and capitals. C14 two-bay arcade to south chapel, with wave moulded pier with pig-nosed inner moulding on attached shafts and caps. North chapel has excellent low pitched roof divided into square panels with moulded timbers having leaf carvings at intersections, those to west end altered in restoration of 1699. Chancel has 3-bay steeply pitched C19 open rafter roof on stone corbels. Moulded string course across east end, and C14 trefoiled piscina with asymmetrical lobed sink. Moulded corbel on north side, and low sepulchre or tomb recess. Ceiling painted at west end C17. Fittings: Font, C13 octagonal with simple trefoiled arches, on round base and column. Pulpit, C20 with linenfold panels. Pews, C19. Altar, a C17 table with 2 x 1 arches with pendants, on triple columns. Furniture: C17 parish chest in chapel with linenfold panels, and a smaller C18 chest. Monuments: In nave, south wall, 3 wall tablets. From east, (a) white marble on black painted wood, to Rev. Robert Atkinson, died 1873. (b) Inset white marble square, to Sir James Stonehouse, rector, died 1795, and (c) white marble on slate, to Sir Alexander Barnett, curate, died 1857. In chancel, white marble tablet with cornice, urn over and ball finial on ends, low table and apron, to Walter Post, rector, died 1772 and predeceased members of family. South side: Framed limestone tablet, divided vertically, to Mary Hayes, died 1720, Elizabeth Hayes, died 1726 and Rev. John Hayes, died 1731. In north chapel, a fine wall monument in limestone and veined marble. Raised inscribed tablet with draped baldacchino over, flanking flute columns carrying arched cornice, coloured and mantled arms over and flaming torches at ends; below, a gadrooned table supported on brackets and relief sprays of foliage on apron: to James Townsend, died 1730, and Katherine his wife, died 1737. Also in chapel, a draped shield tablet of marble on a shaped grey marble field, to Ann Long, died 1792. On external walls of church, 2 wall monuments. On south nave wall C18, limestone, raised panel with flanking panelled pilasters. Hollow cornice and triangular gable. Fluted apron on bracket. Unidentified. On east wall of porch, a limestone tablet, C18, a slab with beaded arris and inscription in lined panel. Moulded cornice over. Unidentified dedication, date of death 175-. Also a lightly incised inscription on south nave wall, with arched head, to John Applegath, and Mary, died 1717 and 1718. Church clock reputed to be of 1629. (Pevsner: Buildings of England, Wiltshire; VCH.x)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.