© Mr David Wood LRPS
TITHE BARN IN PRIORY GROUNDS, NEWTOWN (south side)
BRADFORD ON AVON, WEST WILTSHIRE, WILTSHIRE
Mr David Wood LRPS
15 July 2001
18 April 1952
Date of last amendment:
23 August 1974
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
5411 (South Side)
The Priory Barn
(Formerly listed as Tithe
Barn in Priory grounds)
ST 8261 1/40 18.4.52.
Tithe barn formerly in the grounds of the Priory. Late medieval, much
altered towards the street and divided into 2 storeys. Rubble with stone-tiled
roof. The south east elevation (facing garden) is divided into 8 bays
by 2-stage buttresses with weather mouldings. Single-stage angle buttress
at left hand corner. Plinth course. Doorways with "flattened" pointed
arches at 1st, 3rd and 6th bays from left, the last-named being wider
to accommodate double doors. Wooden doors with nail-heads and moulded
vertical strips. Windows are on two levels, 2 4-light and 1 2-light,
all with leaded panes, concave moulded stone mullions and cinque-foiled
lights under square heads. At 1st floor height in 8th bay narrow internally
splayed loop. Each end elevation is gabled, one with square ashlar stack
at apex and the other with carved saddle stone. Road elevation stands
high above road level on "battered" stone revetment wall. There is one
"flat-arched" doorway towards left.
Priory Lodge with its boundary walls, the Priory Barn and Nos 1A to 3
(consec) form a group.