You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 313393  

Print Page



© Ms Geraldine Bunn LRPS

IoE Number: 313393
Location: CHURCH OF ST ALFRED THE GREAT OF THE WEST SAXON,
  KINGSTON DEVERILL, WEST WILTSHIRE, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: Ms Geraldine Bunn LRPS
Date Photographed: 23 March 2003
Date listed: 11 September 1968
Date of last amendment: 11 September 1968
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

KINGSTON DEVERILLMONKTON DEVERILL VILLAGEST 83 NE(south side)6/172Church of St. Alfred the Great11.9.68of the West Saxon.

KINGSTON DEVERILL MONKTON DEVERILL VILLAGE ST 83 NE (south side) 6/172 Church of St. Alfred the Great 11.9.68 of the West Saxon. GV II Anglican parish church, now redundant. C14 tower, rest rebuilt 1845 by T. H. Wyatt. Rubble stone, tiled roof. Consists of nave and chancel under one roof, west tower and south porch. Gabled south porch with double-chamfered pointed doorway, coped verge. South side of nave has three 2-light Perpendicular-style windows with hoodmoulds. East end has diagonal buttresses and 3-light pointed Perpendicular-style window. North side of nave has two 2- light Perpendicular-style windows and one cusped lancet to left, to left is lean-to vestry with 2-light C16-style window with hoodmould and chamfered ashlar stack, chancel has one cusped lancet. Two- stage west tower has diagonal buttresses, 3-light Perpendicular- style west window, moulded string course to bellstage; one ogee- cusped light, plain parapet with saddleback coping. Interior cleared during 1970s. Four-bay nave and chancel roof has arch-braced collar and tie-beam trusses on stone corbels. Double- chamfered tower arch, beam to ceiling of first stage has date and initials; 17. IBB 02. Only fittings comprise a few remaining C19 pews, limestone reredos with blind arcading, 1703 bell on floor of chancel. Church declared redundant 1970, empty at time of survey (July 1985).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.