You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 315483  

Print Page



© Mr Jeffery Bartlett OBE, ARPS

IoE Number: 315483
Location: 14-16 CHURCH STREET (north side)
  LACOCK, NORTH WILTSHIRE, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Jeffery Bartlett OBE, ARPS
Date Photographed: 12 April 2001
Date listed: 20 December 1960
Date of last amendment: 20 December 1960
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LACOCKCHURCH STREETST 9168(north side)4/49Nos 14 to 16 (consec)20.12.60

LACOCK CHURCH STREET ST 9168 (north side) 4/49 Nos 14 to 16 (consec) 20.12.60 GV II* Range of houses, late medieval to C17, rubble stone and timber frame with stone slate roofs. Two storeys. South front in 2 sections, to left, No 15, a continuously jettied timber-framed first floor with large crosswing gable to left and ridge stack. Casement pair to crosswing first floor, similar window to right. Close studding, renewed on crosswing. Jetty originally on 10 curved brackets, now 9, springing from small corbels apart from 4, originally 5, that are carried down as jambs for original windows. One original 2-light on crosswing has left jamb and centre mullion intact, but inserted stone mullion 2-light window to right obliterates right half. Small original stone square light to right, and a casement pair in frame of original single light. West side wall of crosswing has 2-window range of cyma-moulded recessed mullion windows to right, 2-light. above, 3-light below, then chamfered Tudor-arched door to No 15 and later inserted door to No 14 to left with casement pair over. North end outside stack. Single storey addition beyond. Parallel rear wing in timber-frame and red brick with end stack. Right section of south front, No 16, has 2 gables. To left, a crosswing with jettied roughcast upper floor, the jetty on 4 curved brackets carried down as frames for 3 casement pair windows. Foot of a cruck truss exposed to right. Main range has slightly higher ridge and projecting gable to right. To left, a 3-light recessed chamfered mullion window with hoodmould to first floor, C20 window and door below. Gable has similar upper window with plaster decorated panels above and fine ground floor full-width mullion-and-transom window of 3 plus 3 lights and single lights to sides. Dripcourse over. End stack on roof-slope, lean- to end wall garages. Interior of No 16 is cruck-framed, 2 visible from ground floor. Fine moulded Tudor-arched fireplace with stone shelf at west end. Said to have C17 plastered ceiling upstairs. Interior of No 15 not inspected. Used as parish workhouse 1766-1833.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.