© Mr Steven Vaux
CHURCH OF ST JAMES,
SUTTON BENGER, NORTH WILTSHIRE, WILTSHIRE
Mr Steven Vaux
02 April 2005
20 December 1960
Date of last amendment:
20 December 1960
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SUTTON BENGER DRAYCOT CERNE
ST 97 NW
8/262 Church of St James
Anglican parish church, c1300 with C16 west tower, altered in mid
C19, rubble stone, ashlar tower, stone slate roof and coped gables.
Tower, nave, south porch, north family chapel of Long and Wellesley
families, and chancel. Tower is plain, 2-stage with plinth,
diagonal buttresses to lower stage, 3-light Perpendicular style
west window, dripcourse, small 2-light flat-headed bell-openings,
and flat parapet. North east octagonal stair tower with turret and
weathervane. Nave has carved paired heads under kneelers of
gables, stepped buttresses below and details of c1300 and C14.
South side has plain lancet with C19 decorative leading, then C15
porch with sundial finial, pointed arch and three 2-light flat-
headed cusped side windows. Inside, stone seats, pointed door with
hood and carved stops, small piscina to right. To right of porch,
C19 two-light with octofoil head. North side has similar lancet to
right of family chapel, and two C14 two-light windows with
quatrefoil heads to left, of differing sizes. Chapel is probably
C18 with coved eaves cornice but C19 tall 2-light north window and
door to right. East side stack. Chancel has three north lancets
and broad arched low opening infilled with ashlar, clasping
buttresses, stepped triple lancet east window with short centre
buttress below, probably C19, and two lancets to south, C19
remodelled low door to left with single light adjoining. Various
affixed C18 monuments on south wall of chancel and nave.
Interior: nave has C19 boarded roof and fine complete set of early
C19 Gothic panelled box pews with two-decker pulpit. Stone
octagonal font, tulip shape, uncertain date. Moulded tower arch.
Similar Gothic panelling to family chapel, including secret door.
Plain fireplace. Chancel has broad pointed chamfered arch and is
lower than nave. C19 roof, rere arches to lancets and double
piscina on south wall. Fittings and monuments: In chancel side
windows stained glass of c1860. East window of c1880. On floor
brass to Sir Edward de Cerne died 1393 and his widow died 1419, on
north wall fine cinquefoil-cusped tomb-recess with effigy of a
knight, said to be Phillip de Cerne, c1300; 1856 marble relief of
Hon C. Wellesley by Baron de Triqueti and fine painted stone
Perpendicular tomb chest of Sir T. Long died 1508. In nave south,
stained glass of 1896 by Ward & Hughes. Family chapel has fine
series of monuments, notably on west wall centre James Long died
1728 and, opposite, fine neo-classical monument with bust to Sir
Robert Long died 1767, by J. Wilton. On east wall, to left, Sir
J.T. Long died 1805, by King of Bath and, to right, Sir J.T Long
died 1794 by F. Robins, also bust of Adelaide Wellesley died 1843
aged 8. On north wall monument to 5th Earl of Mornington died 1863
with standing angels.
(N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975, 225-6)