© Mr Brian Thatcher
TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET (centre of)
WOOTTON BASSETT, NORTH WILTSHIRE, WILTSHIRE
Mr Brian Thatcher
20 May 2001
17 January 1955
Date of last amendment:
17 January 1955
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SU 08 SE WOOTTON BASSETT HIGH STREET
11/129 Town Hall
Town Hall, c1700, much restored 1889, timber framed raised on stone
columns. Hipped stone slate roof. Ground floor open, 15 stone
columns of tapered oolite with bulbous capitals and torus bases.
Stair with heavy turned balusters and moulded strings to upper
floor, three-and-a-half bays, former Council chamber. Stair and
office in half bay. Elevation straight corner braces and
herringbone framing under leaded wood casement windows, perhaps
improved when building restored by Lady Meux in 1889. Whitened
infill panels with Meux arms and inscription REST ANNO 1889 both
ends. Roof now with weathercock replacing central timber lantern.
Internally, timber posts jowelled carrying chamfered and stopped
tie beams, cross ties removed when ceiling raised to collar level
at restoration. Stair partly renewed at restoration. 6-panelled
door. Chair dated 1686.
Building, in a conservative style, was presented to the borough by
Lawrence Hyde 1st Earl of Rochester as Council Chamber and Court
Room. Ownership presented to town in 1895, when Blind House
removed from below the stair.