You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 317874  

Print Page



© Mr John Rendle

IoE Number: 317874
Location: ALL SAINTS CHAPEL, SWAN LANE (south side)
  LEIGH, NORTH WILTSHIRE, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Rendle
Date Photographed: 13 November 2004
Date listed: 17 January 1955
Date of last amendment: 17 April 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SU 09 SETHE LEIGHSWAN LANE(south side)5/224Church of All Saints(formerly listed as All Saints Chapel)

SU 09 SE THE LEIGH SWAN LANE (south side) 5/224 Church of All Saints (formerly listed as All Saints Chapel) 17.1.55 II* Anglican parish church. C14 and 1896 by C.E. Ponting. Squared limestone rubble, stone slate roof. Nave rebuilt from old church and new chancel added, all at cost of £1,300. C14 porch entrance with wave moulding and hood. Sundial above. Inner door has simple chamfer. C14 two and 3-light ogee headed windows to nave. Chancel windows in Perpendicular style, 3-light east window, 2-light north window, all with flattened cusping. Angle buttresses. Organ recess under extension of chancel roof. Foliated crosses to gables. Timber framed tower over west bay of tower, roughcast externally and with 2-light pointed bell openings. Hipped gablet roof. Interior: Porch has ogee niche, with some red paint, and arch braced collar beam roof on moulded wall plate. False purlins. Incised date 1659. Nave of 5 bays, open timber roof probably medieval in origin but dated 1638 on crenellated wall plate with inscriptions, and initials IT, IL and CW 1783 on purlin. C17 carved principal rafters and decorated purlins. Wavy windbraces to lowest bay. East bay of roof is panelled with carved bosses at intersections of moulded ribs. West bay contains heavy braced frame for tower. Chancel has panelled barrel vault and original C19 fittings. Fittings: Font, limestone. C13. Four-lobed basin on slightly lobed stem. Pulpit C18 simple oak panelled with tester. C19 screen across west bay of nave forming vestry.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.