© Mr Peter Read LRPS DPAGB
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MARKET PLACE
WILTON, SALISBURY, WILTSHIRE
Mr Peter Read LRPS DPAGB
30 July 2006
04 August 1951
Date of last amendment:
04 August 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
5409 MARKET PLACE
Church of St Mary
SU 0931 5/14 4.8.51.
C15. Mostly demolished. Squared stone. The original church (of St Mary,
Brede Street) consisted of a small west tower, with a nave and chancel,
each with side aisles. It was partly rebuilt in the C13, and rebuilt in
What survives is the eastern most bay of the nave with the chancel and small
chapel, 3 arches of the south arcade, and fragments of the north arcade
and the altered eastern arch of the west tower or west window. A number
of carved capitals of some merit remains.
Restoration (1933-1939) especially to the chancel, by Robert Bingham, ambassador
to the USA who claimed descent from Robert Bingham consecrated Bishop of
Salisbury 1229 (his statue now adorns the west gable of the chapel).
The chapel has pointed entrance flanked by paired cusped lights under square
heads and a triplet of lancets to the east. Inside are a number of interesting
C17 wall monuments; the chancel roof has C17 plaster decoration to the
groin vault. The C17 pulpit is now at Wylye. St Mary's Brede Street was
originally one of 12 parish churches at Wilton but by the end of the C16
all the remaining churches had been united with St Mary's. It thus became
the parish church and so remained until 1844 when the present parish church