You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 319833  

Print Page



© Mrs Anne Thomas

IoE Number: 319833
Location: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, AMESBURY ROAD (west off)
  SHREWTON, SALISBURY, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Anne Thomas
Date Photographed: 08 February 2002
Date listed: 18 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 18 February 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHREWTONAMESBURY ROAD, RollestoneSU 04 SE(off west side)3/225Church of St. Andrew18/2/52

SHREWTON AMESBURY ROAD, Rollestone SU 04 SE (off west side) 3/225 Church of St. Andrew 18/2/52 GV II* - Anglican parish church. Early C13 nave, mid-C13 chancel, restoration of 1845. Limestone and flint chequers, tiled roof with coped verge to west, timber bellcote. Consists of nave, small chancel, south porch and bellcote over west end. Gabled south porch has coped verge to tiled roof, C19 Tudor-arched doorway has hoodmould with foliated terminals. To right is large 4-light Perpendicular window of c1500 with hoodmould with carved head terminals, east gable of nave has cusped wooden barge boards. South side of chancel has single lancet, east end has C19 2-light pointed window with hoodmould and small lancet over, north side has single lancet with hoodmould. North side of nave is rendered and has one fine 3-light Perpendicular window of c1400, with hoodmould and carved head terminals, to right is blocked chamfered pointed doorway. West end has one 2-light C16 window with cusped lights and square head, above is one small lancet. Interior: Plain plastered walls and stone floor. Nave has very shallow pitched ceiling on C16 cambered moulded beams, chancel has pointed barrel-vaulted roof. Double-chamfered chancel arch on C19 carved head corbels. Fine fittings include early C13 cylindrical font with Cl7 crown cover, C17 pews have wainscot-panelled backs, Cl7 bench ends with fine strapwork and reeded decoration and semi- circular heads were brought here from St. Catherine at Haydon in Dorset in 1981. C17 communion rails with turned balusters. Heraldic stained glass is said to be Cl7. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975. Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.