You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 319846  

Print Page



© Mrs Anne Thomas

IoE Number: 319846
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HIGH STREET (east side)
  SHREWTON, SALISBURY, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Anne Thomas
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 18 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 18 February 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHREWTONHIGH STREETSU 04 SE(east side)3/238Church of St. Mary the Virgin18/2/58

SHREWTON HIGH STREET SU 04 SE (east side) 3/238 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 18/2/58 GV II* Anglican parish church. Late C12 to early C13 nave, C16 tower, chancel and restoration of 1855 by T. H. Wyatt. Limestone and flint chequers, limestone ashlar tower, Welsh slate roofs, stone coped verges. Plan: nave and aisles, chancel with south vestry and north organ chamber, west tower, north porch. Gabled north porch of 1855, has pointed door with hoodmould and foliated terminals, side windows are cusped lancets. To right, north aisle has one 2- light Perpendicular-style window with hoodmould and foliated term- inals, diagonal buttress and 2-light Perpendicular-style window to west end of aisle, to left of porch is 3-light Perpendicular-style window, east end of aisle has similar window and good C18 cartouche. Clerestory with three trefoils. North side of chancel has pair of cusped lancets, 3-light east window with C19 flowing tracery with carved head terminals to hoodmould, south side has two cusped lancets, one has its original C13 head. South aisle has 2-light Perpendicular-style window to east. Tudor-arched door and two 2-light and one 3-light Perpendicular-style windows. Clerestory has three trefoils. 3-stage west tower has moulded plinth and diagonal buttresses, C19 Tudor-arched door to west side, above is string course to second stage; one 3-light Perpendicular window, bell stage has pair of 2-light C16 square- headed louvres to north, south and west faces, string course to battlemented parapet, stair turret on north side of tower has two loops. Interior: Porch has scissor-rafter roof. 3-bay nave has C19 arch-braced collar roof on foliated corbels. Double-chamfered pointed arcade of c1200, the eastern bay was added 1855; cylindrical columns with scalloped capitals, some are very convincingly restored by Wyatt, but the west respond of south aisle is original, north aisle has one square pier with square west respond, with zig-zag capitals and carved heads to stops of chamfers. Double chamfered tower arch and chancel arch, the latter reset by Wyatt, has grouped shafts with finely carved stiff-leaf and water-leaf capitals. Chancel has arch-braced scissor roof of 4 bays, with good foliated corbels. Double-chamfered arches to vestry and organ chamber. Reused Cl7 arcaded screen on north side. Trefoiled piscina on south wall. Chancel stained glass includes two signed windows by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake of London of late C19, very fine east window is unsigned. Glass in south aisle by Gibbs in two windows of 1855 and 1856, and by G. E. R. Smith to Edith Wansborough, died 1954. Wall tablets mostly in south aisle, such as a marble to R. Gouldisborough died 1735 and classical tablet to John Wansborough, died 1833. Pews, pulpit and especially good Romanesque-style font by Wyatt. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975. Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.