You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 319959  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Harvey ARPS

IoE Number: 319959
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD (south side)
  IDMISTON, SALISBURY, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Brian Harvey ARPS
Date Photographed: 10 September 1999
Date listed: 18 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 18 February 1958
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

IDMISTONCHURCH ROADSU 13 NE(south side)3/66Church of All Saints18.2.58

IDMISTON CHURCH ROAD SU 13 NE (south side) 3/66 Church of All Saints 18.2.58 GV I Redundant Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15, restored 1866-7 by J.L. Pearson. Flint with interspersed limestone, and limestone dressings. Tiled chancel and porch, lead to nave and aisles. Nave with north and south aisles clasping west tower. Two storey north porch, and chancel. Cinquefoiled square headed windows, 3-light to nave, 3 light to clerestorey, all with label moulds, but a 3-light earlier panelled Perpendicular window to east of south aisle. C13 chancel has north door and lancets, three close spaced lancets at east end. Nave and aisles have ashlar parapets with cavetto string at base, interrupted by carved stone hopper heads. Porch has a 4-centred arch with quatrefoiled spandrels and label with facetted drop terminals. Two-light window to parvise over, and gable wheel cross. Tower C12 with pilaster buttresses and without offsets, the upper section rebuilt in C19 with three simple bell openings each side and a shingled pyramidal spire. Two-light west window. Uninterpreted crude incisions on chancel quoins and bench mark on tower. Interior: Inner north door 4-centred with quatrefoiled spandrels. Nave C13 replacing a presumed C12 unaisled nave. Arcade of 2 bays, 2 chamfered order arches on clustered columns with round capitals and raised bases, constructed in alternating contrasting Hurdcott and Chilmark stones. High door to rood screen on south side. Roof of 3 bays, C15, with moulded and traceried brackets on large carved corbels, tie beams and moulded ridge piece, purlins and intermediate principal rafters. North aisle has piscina and similar C15 roof, also on fine corbels, all relating to widening of aisles and raising of nave in a major building phase. Simpler roof to south aisle, which also has piscina, but on north side. Chancel has C19 trussed rafter roof with scissor braces. Small piece of torus moulding of earliest phase survives over built-in pilaster buttress on north side of tower. Fittings: Pulpit, C19, Bath stone, with ballflower cornice and carved panels. Font, medieval, a Purbeck limestone octagonal bowl raised on step with stand for officiant. Altar rail, mahogany on iron supports, reading desk and pews all C19, the pews with simple iron candlestick with brass ornament. Monuments: Chancel: North side, a Carrara tablet with cornice shaped top, and curved apron, to Rev John Bowle, died 1788. South side, a Carrara wall tablet with supporting scrolls, cornice with finials and central coloured shield, and apron with acanthus leaves. To Elizabeth, wife of Rev J. Bowle, died 1759. Also further 3 tablets, to Elisabeth Bowle, daughter of 1st, died 1769; Richard Bowle, son of Bishop of Rochester, died 1678 and another Rev J. Bowle, white tablet on grey, with pyramid and arms, all supported on mutules; he died 1836, and later family. In north aisle, 4 wall monuments, at east end, a slate tablet in limestone architrave with broken pediment clasping mantled arms. Further arms with crowned feathers in apron, to Mary Chaundler, died 1680. At west end (a) marble tablet with cornice and apron, to John Andrews of Porton, died 1766, (b) Christian Clemens, died 1754, and Rev Thomas Clemens, died 1747. In south aisle, west wall, a C17 monument, a niche flanked by red marbled columns carrying entablature crowned by mantled and crested arms. Within the niche, a cloaked figure of Giles Rowbach, died 1633, kneeling before an open book on a stand. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire, Church guide 1985).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.