You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 320056  

Print Page

© Mr Peter Hubbard

IoE Number: 320056
Photographer: Mr Peter Hubbard
Date Photographed: 27 January 2003
Date listed: 23 March 1960
Date of last amendment: 23 March 1960
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WEST DEANRECTORY HILLSU 22 NE(west side)11/162Borbach Chantry23.3.60

WEST DEAN RECTORY HILL SU 22 NE (west side) 11/162 Borbach Chantry 23.3.60 I Chantry chapel, administered by Redundant Churches Fund. 1333 for Robert de Borbach. Flint with limestone dressings, tiled roof. Single cell, formerly attached to south side of parish church by a 2-bay arcade which was removed in 1868, the arcade walled up and new south porch added. Windows 2-light ogee headed with quatrefoiled heads and hoodmould only to north window. Rectangular lights to east and west ends. Porch has simply chamfered door and timber framed and weatherboarded gable. Inner door has consecration cross on jamb and medieval cross boarded door with hollow moulded cover pieces. Interior: Plastered and cement painted, the walls extended up over ashlars of C14 trussed rafter roof. Single arch of arcade remains, blocked and window inserted. Tiled and flagged floor, and black and white chequer to east end. C17 wrought iron railings with alternating javelin headed and twisted bars set across east end. Monuments: The chapel became a chapel of the Evelyn family in C17 and contains a group of outstanding monuments. On south wall, wall tomb, C14 a cinquefoiled recess with wide ogee hood, possibly tomb of founder. North side: Wall tomb, 1625. Alabaster chest with broken double pediment on red marble Corinthian columns. Within two niches resting on scrolled corbel at centre, containing life- sized figures of Sir John Evelyn and wife facing across a fald stool supporting open breviaries. Demi-relief figures of eleven kneeling children on chest, and draped and crested arms over. South wall: Alabaster aedicule with demi-columns supporting broken segmental pediment, containing arms. Draped niches containing white marble bust of Elizabeth Tirell (nee Evelyn) died in childbirth, 1629. East wall: Important large monument of 1669, veined white marble and painted limestone. Deep niche over table, flanked by painted Ionic columns on pedestals supporting entablature with scrolled broken pediment. Naked angels lie on pediment holding falling drapery, inscribed, and baroque shield over. Urns at ends of cornice. Niche contains inner marble moulding with shell canopy, and within, the kneeling imploring figure of Robert Pierrepont, his leg amputated, being raised by a flying angel. Niche is enclosed by hinged doors of wood, painted with curtaining on outside, and faced with gilded copper internally and bearing long engraved inscription moralising on his dissolute life. On north wall, east end: Wall monument, 1685, Carrara marble and slate. A classical niche with triangular pediment and scroll supports, urn over, supporting large reclining and mourning figures. Pyramid to rear raises arms into roof of building, all against a marble sarcophagus. Apron below with inscription. Within niche, a portrait bust, life size of Sir John Evelyn on a stand. Original iron doors closing niche not now present. Minor monuments: (a) Elegant wall monument, late C18, by Brown of Sarum. Grey panel framed in white marble, with oval tablet. Pyramid with painted arms over, to William Brooke, died 1799, his wife and son. (b) Tablet, C19, white marble on grey, by Osmund. To William Griffinhoofe, died 1832. (c) in porch. Tablet commemorating restoration of building in 1868. (d) Unfixed, a C12-C13 stone coffin with head recess. Brass: On purbeck slab mounted against wall. To George Evelyn, child, died 1641 aged 6. Four benefaction boards of C19 over door. Furniture: Simple late medieval oak pew, and unattached pew end with an elementary poppyhead. Four loose stones, one being a piscina bowl. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, WILTSHIRE; Redundant Churches Fund leaflet B.14)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.