© Mrs Beryl Murray
PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MILL LANE (east side)
BATHAMPTON, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mrs Beryl Murray
20 August 1999
01 February 1956
Date of last amendment:
01 February 1956
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST 7766 BATHAMPTON C.P. MILL LANE
1.2.56 Parish Church of St.
Parish Church of St. Nicholas. C13th origins; C15th alterations and tower; but
considerably restored and North aisle built in 1858 by A.S. Goodridge of Bath;
and chancel restored 1882 by C.E. Davis of Bath; these C19th retorations
completely obliterated Ralph Allen's Gothick restoration of the mid C18th
Ashlar and coursed, squared rubble; slate roof behind pierced quatrefoil
parapets; West tower; Nave; North and South aisles; South Porch; Chancel.
Tower: 3 stages, diagonal buttresses; embattled parapet with pinnacles;
octagonal stair turret; single perpendicular bell chamber window. Restored
windows in aisles and chancel. Mutilated effigy (?Bishop or Prioress) in niche
under East window (probably C16th). Interior. Early English Chancel Arch
(restored), triple lancet East window. Australia Chapel in south aisle contains
memorials to Allen family: Philip Allen, 1763; Ralph Allen 1977; Charles
Holder 1763. In Chancel other C18th and C19th wall plaques and tablets
especially Robert Fisher, 1795. Mutilated C14th effigy on window cill of west
window of south aisle. Victorian Font.