You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 320268  

Print Page

No Image Available

IoE Number: 320268
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 27 July 1985
Date of last amendment: 27 July 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 92 SWBERWICK ST. JOHN-5/42Orangery and gatehouse atAshcombe House

ST 92 SW BERWICK ST. JOHN - 5/42 Orangery and gatehouse at Ashcombe House GV II Orangery or stables, now studio, with attached gatehouse. Early C18. Flemish bond brick with limestone dressings, corrugated- iron hipped roof. L-plan; the truncated remains of a larger range, with the gatehouse formerly central. Single-storey, 5-bay garden front with gatehouse to left and projecting 3-bay wing to right. Round-arched gateway has Gibbs surround, dentilled pediment with oculus, chamfered rusticated quoins, to right are four round-arched openings with keystones and casements; formerly 2 windows and 2 doors, to right is arched doorway with fanlight. Return of wing to right has 2 round-arched casements and central door with fanlight, all in recessed arched panels with keystones, front of wing has Venetian window with stone pilasters, cornice and raised voussoirs to round-arched head, casements. Rear has gatehouse with similar Gibbs surround to archway. Hipped roof has brick parapet with stone coping. Interior not accessible at time of survey (March 1985), but was converted to a studio in 1930s by Cecil Beaton. The full extent of this range is illustrated in early C18 painting, in Salisbury Museum, partly demolished mid C18. (C. Beaton, Ashcombe - The Story of a Fifteen Year Lease, 1949; NMR.)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.