You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 320558  

Print Page



© Mr Antony Barrington-Brown FRPS

IoE Number: 320558
Location: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS,
  WYLYE, SALISBURY, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Antony Barrington-Brown FRPS
Date Photographed: 17 April 2001
Date listed: 23 March 1960
Date of last amendment: 23 March 1960
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WYLYEFISHERTON DE LA MERESU 03 NW( north side)2/124Church of St. Nicholas23.3.60.

WYLYE FISHERTON DE LA MERE SU 03 NW ( north side) 2/124 Church of St. Nicholas 23.3.60. GV II* Anglican parish church, now redundant. Early C12, C13, C15, restorations 1833, 1861 by W. Hardwick and 1912. Chequered limestone and flint, tiled roof with ornamental tiles to chancel roof, Welsh slates to nave. Plan: Nave, north transept, chancel and north vestry, south tower over entrance. Double chamfered archway to porch at base of two-stage tower; diagonal buttresses, moulded niche over doorway and blocked square chamfered window over with cast-iron plaque recording the 1833 rebuilding by John Davis Esq., east and west sides have square chamfered windows with louvres, string course to Cl9 bellstage with 2-light louvred pointed windows to all sides, battlemented parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles. Nave wall to right of tower contains fragments of C12 chevron from an archway, two 2-light restored C14 pointed windows, buttresses with offsets. Chancel with C19 roll-moulded string courses and three restored lancets, corbel table, east end has two C13 lancets with hoodmoulds and central pilaster buttress, C19 quatrefoil over, coped verge wth cross finial, north side has three restored lancets, corbel table. Lean-to vestry against north transept has chamfered and cusped lancets. North transept has C19 Perpendicular-style window with hoodmould. North side of nave has two C19 Perpendicular windows, buttresses with offsets, east one with reset scratch dial, west end has chamfered pointed doorway and 3-light Cl9 Perpendicular-style window, diagonal buttresses. Interior: Plain chamfered inner doorway with C19 panelled doors. Nave has plastered ceiling, 1830's gallery at west end up stairs. Chancel screen and rood loft by F.C. Eden 1912; finely carved Perpendicular-style with open traceried panels and solid newel stairs. Double chamfered C13 chancel arch with broach stops and C12 paired half-shaft responds with carved capitals resembling drapery, chancel has panelled wagon roof, original C13 rere-arches to north and east end, restored on south side. Fittings: Minton tiled reredos, plain pointed piscina on south wall, brass candelabra in chancel. 1912 pews, C17 freestanding octagonal pulpit with strapwork frieze, from East Anglia. C12 limestone cylindrical font. Royal Arms of George III over south door. 1830's grisaille-style glass. Monuments include 1624 Crockford tablet with bas-relief carving of figure in bed and another in shroud, Cl9 marble tablets by Osmond of Sarum to Davis family and by King of Bath to John Davis, died 1791. Elaborate C19 prayer board on south wall of nave. Church now in care of the Redundant Churches Fund. (NMR; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.