You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 320783  

Print Page



© Mr Antony Barrington-Brown FRPS

IoE Number: 320783
Location: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, HINDON ROAD (north off)
  BERWICK ST LEONARD, SALISBURY, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Antony Barrington-Brown FRPS
Date Photographed: 14 March 2003
Date listed: 06 January 1966
Date of last amendment: 06 January 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BERWICK ST. LEONARDHINDON ROADST 93 SW(off north side)1/1Church of St. Leonard6.1.66

BERWICK ST. LEONARD HINDON ROAD ST 93 SW (off north side) 1/1 Church of St. Leonard 6.1.66 GV II* Anglican parish church, now redundant. C12, C14, rebuilt 1860. Flint and limestone, fishscale tiled roof. Plan: small nave and chancel with entrance below south tower. Chamfered pointed doorway on south side of 2-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, offset bellstage has one cusped lancet with pierced decorative louvres to each side, moulded square sundial over south window, moulded eaves cornice to pyramidal tiled roof. Nave has C19 two-light square- headed window to right of tower, several blocked openings. South side of chancel has C19 plain chamfered pointed doorway, 3-light C14 east window with intersecting tracery, coped verge with cross finial, north side has C19 two-light square-headed window. North side of nave has two C19 two-light square headed windows, blocked C12 round-arched doorway with tympanum and lintel with rosettes. West end has C14 three-light window with intersecting tracery, diagonal buttresses and coped verge with cross finial. Interior: Chamfered pointed inner doorway with C19 hoodmould, over is beaded circular tablet with relief-carved Agnus Dei, said to be C12. Three-bay C19 nave roof with arch-braced collar trusses. Small square piscina on north wall, C19 octagonal stone pulpit, C12 cylindrical stone font with brass cover, C19 pews, cavetto-moulded pointed niche on north wall. Plain chamfered chancel arch with chamfered square responds, chancel has C19 roof with 2 collar trusses and tesselated floor, large C19 ogee-headed piscina on south wall, east window with grissaille-style glass flanked by prayer boards. Fine baroque marble wall monument on north wall of nave to George Howe died 1647; broken segmental pediment with heraldic arms over, relief-carved demi-figures of George Howe and his wife Dorothy, with demi-figures of children in oval recess below, decorated with festoons and drapery. On south wall is slate panel with round-arched moulded surround to the five children of Sir George Grobham Howe, died between 1660 and 1662. The two bells are of 1725 and 1766. The rebuilding in 1860 was paid for by Alfred Morrison of Fonthill. The church was declared redundant in 1973 and is in the care of the Redundant Churches Fund. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975; Church Guide)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.