You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 320986  

Print Page

© Mrs Anne Thomas

IoE Number: 320986
Photographer: Mrs Anne Thomas
Date Photographed: 23 January 2003
Date listed: 06 January 1966
Date of last amendment: 06 January 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TISBURYCHICKSGROVE ROADST 93 SE(north side), Lower Chicksgrove2/197Chicksgrove Manor6.1.66

TISBURY CHICKSGROVE ROAD ST 93 SE (north side), Lower Chicksgrove 2/197 Chicksgrove Manor 6.1.66 GV II* Manor house. Late C14, altered late C16, C17 and C19. Rubble stone, thatched roof, brick stone stacks. Four-bay hall house with former 3-bay open hall, through passage to rear of inserted stack, solar wing rebuilt in C17 at east end, services rebuilt C19 at west end. Single-storey and attic, 3 windows. Two-storey early C17 porch to left of centre with stone Tudor-arched opening to front and moulded Tudor-arched doorway and planked door to through passage, upper floor on moulded wooden brackets, stone sundial and 2-light ovolo-mullioned casement with hoodmould. To left of porch is 4-light ovolo-mullioned casements, 3-light ovolo-mullioned casement to right with hoodmould, attic has two full gabled dormers with 3-light ovolo-mullioned casements, to right are small square lights to ground and first floors. Wing to right has 3-light ovolo-mullioned casement to ground floor and 2-light leaded casement to first floor, pointed chamfered light to attic. Right return of cross wing has 2-light and 3-light ovolo-mullioned casements. Rear has blocked doorway with C20 mullioned casement to right, 2-light, 3-light ovolo-mullioned casement and single chamfered light to centre with Tudor-arched chamfered doorway to rear of through passage and 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned casement to right, attic has two 2-light ovolo-mullioned casements to eyebrow dormers to left and one 2-light mullioned casement to right, some of the mullioned windows are C20 renewals. To right is C19 single-storey service wing with 2-light casements and planked door with brick dressings, double Roman tiled roof. Interior: Three-bay former open hall at west end of house retains Medieval roof; two open trusses, the finer to the east is a deep arch-braced cranked collar truss with chamfered braces and chamfered runner at the apex of the collar, truss to the west appears to be a raised cruck with cranked collar, closed third truss to the east. Floor inserted during C16 with very deep chamfered beams with stepped stops, plank and muntin partitions, with mouldings on east side of through passage, matching doors or planked doors with strap hinges, back passage has exposed chamfered joists and Tudor-arched wooden chamfered doorway at solar end. Open fireplaces inserted into hall with chamfered lintels with rounded corners on chamfered stone jambs and bread ovens. Drawing room in cross wing contains reset C17 wainscot panelling, deep chamfered beam, fine overmantel to open fireplace has carved pilasters with lions' heads and central lozenge with man's face. First floor has stone chamfered fireplace surround, planked or wainscot doors. Attached to front are low stone garden walls with flat coping, three-step stone mounting block to front. A very fine Wiltshire manor house retaining many features from different periods of its development. Owned by the Davies family during C17, John Davies was Attorney General of Ireland, 1603-1616. (R. Colt Hoare, Modern History of Wiltshire, 1829)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.