© Mr John Rendle
LAKE HOUSE, LAKE (east side)
WILSFORD CUM LAKE, SALISBURY, WILTSHIRE
Mr John Rendle
05 April 2003
10 January 1953
Date of last amendment:
10 January 1953
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
WILSFORD CUM LAKE LAKE
SU 13 NW
8/203 Lake House
House, 1578 for George Duke, clothier, restored 1898 by Detmar Blow
in consultation with Philip Webb, complete reconstruction of
interior 1912 after fire, also by Blow, and additions 1933 by Darcy
Braddell. Chilmark limestone and flint chequerwork (1578) and
tiled roof. Two storeys, attic and cellars. 'L'-plan augmented
in C20. Symmetrical main west front of 5 bays, each bay gabled.
Central two-storey crenellated porch with round-arched door and
geometric strapwork pilasters. Three-light ovolo moulded
mullioned and transomed window to first floor. Applied arms of
Duke family. Flanking bays 2 and 4 have similar windows. Outer
bays 1 and 5 have 2-storey square bays with chamfered angles, and
similar windows. Two-light attic windows in gables with label
hoods. All glazing leaded, C20. Panelled main door and ironwork
bell pull, foot scrapers etc. String courses at heads of windows.
Return elevation on north has 4 bays. Large mullioned and
transomed windows and gables, and large part-external stacks
carrying diagonal shafts. Various C20 extensions on north and
east corner. On south-west corner, dining hall added 1933 by
Darcy Braddell. Two bays, with lateral part-external stack and
twinned octagonal shafts. Canted tall bay window to east. On
north side of house, a long single storey rendered brick stable
wing forms curved enclosure to service yard. Clock tower.
Interior: Plan altered and wholly refitted after 1912 and supplied
with appropriate late C16 and C17 chimneypieces and panelling. To
left of entrance hall, sitting room has stone fireplace dated 1658
and carved overmantel. C17 panelling and short stair to higher
level of rear wing. Dentilled cornice. Drawing room right of
entrance. C18 panelling. Yellow marble bolection moulded
fireplace. Axial display cabinet with shell hood. Stair to rear
of hall, on left, 1912 by Blow, limed pine, with open well and
columns on first floor. Turned balustrade, with wyvern headed
newels, and dado panelling. On first floor, main bedroom
panelled, with chimneypiece. Bathroom panelled in Italian marble,
original WC and bath of 1935. Kings Room (for King Alphonso of
Spain) has panelling and stone fireplace with carved overmantel.
Dining hall of 1933 has spectacular chimneypiece of stone carved
with relief St George and dragon C17, panelling and carved frieze
dated 1633, to which Bailey family initials added, and plaster
ceiling from a London livery company.
The house was the residence of Rev. Edward Duke, archaeologist and
colleague of Colt Hoare.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire; Country Life: Feb 8th
1908 and March 1937; Architectural Review: V. 171 (1899)