You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32156  

Print Page



© Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS

IoE Number: 32156
Location: EAGLE HOUSE INCLUDING BALUSTRADE 2 YARDS IN FRONT OF SOUTH ELEVATION, 71 NORTHEND (west side)
  BATHEASTON, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS
Date Photographed: 17 July 2002
Date listed: 01 February 1956
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1956
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 7768BATHEASTON C.P.NORTHEND(West side)6/114No. 71 (Eagle House)1.2.56including balustrade

ST 7768 BATHEASTON C.P. NORTHEND (West side) 6/114 No. 71 (Eagle House) 1.2.56 including balustrade 2 yards in front of south G.V. elevation II* House, now flats. Late C17th/early C18th; remodelled 1724 (date on inner wall, formerly west gable) and 1729 by John Wood, the Elder, for himself; extended 1906-1908 by Mowbray Green of Bath, for Lt. Col. Linley Blathwayt. Coursed rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings (top two courses below eaves are ashlar, denoting the raising of the roof); half-hipped slate roof; ashlar stacks; moulded cornice. 2 storeys, basement and attics in pedimented dormers. South (garden) elevation: 5 bays, plus 2 in 1906-08 extension to left. 24-pane glazing bar sash windows in architraves, 18 panes to 1906-08 windows. Continuous moulded string course above ground floor. Central feature of composition surely by Wood, is Venetian; window on first floor with two outer blocked lights and central triple keystone which rises to join the cornice. Below is Ionic doorcase with heavily banded columns, pediment. Panelled door. Pierced balustrade to terrace, 2 metres in front of south elevation. East elevation: 3 bays. Centre bay, by Wood, is slightly advanced; quoins; blocked window on ground loor; shell headed niche containing urn on first floor with central triple keystone which rises to form base of pediment; cartouche in tympanum of pediment bears date 1729; coarsely cut eagle with spread wings surmounts pediment. Outer bays; 2 24-pane glazing bar sash windows in architraves. Continuous string course across 3 bays. Interior: Remains of early C18th staircase; turned and twisted balusters. Panelled plasterwork at top of stairs with shell-headed niches. Early - mid C18th fireplace in ground floor room (Flat 1); Ionic pilasters, overmantel and decorative surround. Historically a very important house. An important provincial baroque building. John Wood the Elder's first known house and work in the Bath area. In Lt. Col. Blathwayt's time the house was an important refuge for suffragettes who had been released from prison after hunger strikes. Blathwayt marked the connection by planting trees to commemorate each woman - at least 47 trees were planted between April 1909 and July 1911, including the Parkhursts, Despard, Fawcett, Lady Lytton. The garden is now destroyed and the trees gone. Dobbie B.M.W., An English Rural Community, 1969. Dobbie B.M.W., A Nest of Suffragettes in Somerset. Persner N., Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.