You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32213  

Print Page



©  Helmut Schulenburg

IoE Number: 32213
Location: PARISH CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN'S, CHURCH STREET (south east side)
  BATHFORD, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Helmut Schulenburg
Date Photographed: 17 April 2007
Date listed: 01 February 1956
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1956
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 7866-7966BATHFORD C.P.CHURCH STREET(South-east side)9/441.2.56Parish Church of St.Swithun's

ST 7866-7966 BATHFORD C.P. CHURCH STREET (South-east side) 9/44 1.2.56 Parish Church of St. Swithun's G.V. II Parish Church of St. Swithun's. Romanesque origins: restored by F. Preedy of London and Worcester; West tower (1879-80); north aisle and porch 1856; south aisle and nave 1870-72; chancel, north and south chancel chapels. Coursed, squared rubble with freestone dressings; slate roof. West tower: 3 stages, pierced parapet with finials, angle buttresses, 2-light lancet openings to bell chamber. Aisles: panelled bracery with foiled heads. 3-bay nave with Early English style arcades. 2 bay chancel. Font: C13th, octagonal with scalloped underside. Pulpit: Jacobean, finely carved with Biblical text on frieze, raised on stone base by Preedy (1870). Monuments: 2 lettered tablets in north wall of chancel; Philip Ellis 1661; Thomas Hendy 1676; south wall Marie Herd 1674. Elizabeth Phillips, 1759 by John Ford of Bath.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.