You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 322232  

Print Page



© Mrs Lisa Hornish

IoE Number: 322232
Location: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY,
  MUKER, RICHMONDSHIRE, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Lisa Hornish
Date Photographed: 01 June 2003
Date listed: 07 December 1966
Date of last amendment: 07 December 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SD 99 NWMUKERMUKER14/147Church of Saint Mary7.12.66GVII *

SD 99 NW MUKER MUKER 14/147 Church of Saint Mary 7.12.66 GV II * Church. 1580, C18, restored 1891. Rubble, stone slate roof. West tower, nave and chancel under 1 roof, south porch. Tower: possibly 1580. 3 stages. Quoins. On ground floor, a vent with vertical iron bar. 2-light chamfered-mullion belfry openings. Bench-mark on west face. Lead rainwater head cast with "R METCALFE, I CALVERT, C-WARDENS 1793". Porch: dated 1849 on kneeler. Coursed stone. Sundial. Inner doorway: 4-centred arch, chamfered, with inscription "LW 1719 IP". Nave and chancel: substantially of 1580. 3 and 2 bays. 2-light chamfered-mullion window to south-west. Other windows C19, of 2 trefoil-headed lights with hoodmoulds. East window: 3 trefoil-headed lights under hoodmould. North side has C18 lead rainwater head. Interior: beaded wall plate and roof timbers substantially of 1580, but raised from steeper thatched pitch in 1761. Font: C19, round basin on cylindrical shaft and base. On south wall of sanctuary, a small stone inscribed "SG 1769". Against north wall of sanctuary, vertical slab commemorating Mr James of the parish of Redrith, Cornwall, d.1746. South wall of chancel, memorial to Alexander Calvert of Richmond, land agent and commissioner under Inclosure Acts, d.1834. North wall of nave, memorial to Edmund Alderson Knowles of Low Row d.1835 by G Green, Newcastle, and board painted with rules for use of Parish Hearse, 1836. A rare example of a new church in 1580. E Cooper, Muker: The Story of a Yorkshire Parish (1948).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.