You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 322319  

Print Page



© Mr David H. Brown

IoE Number: 322319
Location: CATTERICK BRIDGE, A 6136
  BROMPTON ON SWALE, RICHMONDSHIRE, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr David H. Brown
Date Photographed: 12 April 2007
Date listed: 04 February 1969
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1969
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NORTH YORKSHIRERICHMONDSHIRE5339BROUGH WITH ST GILESA 6136SE 29 NW

NORTH YORKSHIRE RICHMONDSHIRE 5339 BROUGH WITH ST GILES A 6136 SE 29 NW 4/9 Catterick Bridge 4.2.69 GV II* Bridge. 1422, probably rebuilt 1565-90, much repaired C17, widened 1792. Older bridge for William de Burgh of Brough Hall (qv), widening by John Carr of York. Sandstone ashlar. 3 arches separated by triangular cutwaters with hollow-chamfered tops sweeping up to canted pedestrian retreats. Band. Parapets with triangular coping terminating in circular bollards, the downstream parapet curving outwards in plan. Older bridge exposed on upstream side: central 2 arches of 2 slightly-pointed chamfered orders, outer arches semicircular and faced with C18 stonework. Undersides of earlier arches bear masons' marks. The Carr bridge on downstream side: 3 semicircular arches and 1 segmental arch, with torus archivolts. Small barrel-vaulted chamber in spandrel adjacent to southernmost arch on downstream side. The contract for building the bridge survives in the County Record Office. There was a chantry chapel, dedicated to St Anne, founded in 1505, on the south-east side of the medieval bridge. Part of downstream parapet dismantled at time of resurvey. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. Partly in the parish of Brompton-on-Swale. E Jervoise, Ancient Bridges of The North of England, (1931), p 87. York Georgian Society, The Works in Architecture of John Carr (1973), p 6; VCH i, p 301.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.