You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 323060  

Print Page



© Mr Nigel Press

IoE Number: 323060
Location: CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW, CHURCH BANK (east off)
  AYSGARTH, RICHMONDSHIRE, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Nigel Press
Date Photographed: 12 April 2004
Date listed: 25 March 1969
Date of last amendment: 25 March 1969
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

AYSGARTHCHURCH BANKNORTH YORKSHIRERICHMONDSHIRE5339SE 08 NW

AYSGARTH CHURCH BANK NORTH YORKSHIRE RICHMONDSHIRE 5339 SE 08 NW (east side, off) 15/38 Church of Saint Andrew 25.3.69 GV II* Church. Mainly of 1866, in Decorated style. By James Green of Todmorden. Rubble, slate roof. West tower, 5-bay nave and 3-bay chancel with aisles, south porch. Tower: 5 stages, the lower 4 of C14 masonry. Diagonal and lateral off-set buttresses. Single-light vents to 3 lowest stages; clock face to north and south of 4th stage; two 2-light belfry openings on each elevation. Gargoyles, crenellated parapet with pinnacles. Pointed-arched doorway, perhaps C18, on north side. South porch: tall pointed opening with continuous wave moulding and large heads on label stops. Inner doorway of 2 hollow-chamfered orders. South aisle: 2-light Decorated-style windows. To right of priest's door, re-used medieval tombstone with hunting horn, perhaps of a Forester of Wensleydale Forest. Parapet. 2-light clerestorey windows to nave, 2 paired lights and single-light to chancel. Crenellated parapets. East window: 5-light Perpendicular-style. Aisle east windows: 4-light Perpendicular-style. Interior: 2 damaged medieval piscinas flanking priest's door. C10 Northumbrian cross-head found in churchyard on table near main door. South side of chancel: very fine rood screen, of seven 3-light bays from Jervaulx Abbey by the Ripon School of Carvers, c1506; also 2 stall ends of similar quality with rebus of William de Heslington, Abbot of Jervaulx from 1472, now in reading desk. In north chancel, timber beam across 1 bay of arcade inscribed "A S Abbas Ann. D'm. 1536", for Adam Sedber, the 1st Abbot of Jervaulx Abbey, which held the advowson. Good C19 pews with doors in nave. 3 brass candelabra in nave. Some fine C18 monuments including those to the Yarkers. VCH i, pp 210-1

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.