© Mr David Robson
APPLETREEWICK, CRAVEN, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Mr David Robson
04 November 2004
10 September 1954
Date of last amendment:
10 September 1954
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SE 06 SE
3/20 Percevall Hall
House, now a retreat for Bradford Diocese. C16, C17 and early C20. Ashlar,
coursed squared stone, graduated stone slate roof. Clb and C17 part of
house, 2 storeys, 6 bays. To right of this is a 2 storey, 5 bay modern
addition, to rear at right angles to house a long wing dated 1929, behind
this parallel to the house another wing of 1929. Original house: the left-
hand bay is set back, gabled to left return. Between bays 2 and 3 a shallow
flat-headed porch with 2 ball finials and a studded door in a chamfered
surround. To left of porch a drainpipe with waterhead inscribed 1775.
Porch is flanked by 6-light double-chamfered mullioned windows with central
major mullions and hoodmoulds. To right two 3-light double-chamfered
mullion windows with a one-light chamfered window between them. First
floor. Bay 2 has 6-light window similar to that below. 2 bays to right of
this have 3-light double-chamfered mullioned windows, to right similar
window of 2 lights. Right bay has 3-light double-chamfered mullioned window
with a hoodmould. Bay 2 has gable with a stepped 3-light chamfered
mullioned window with a hoodmould. Shaped kneelers, stone coping. End
stack to right, ridge stacks. Additions to house in similar style with
mullioned windows. Interior: in the solar is a large inglenook fireplace
with a chamfered segmental arch. Downstairs a fireplace dated 1671 with
simple diamond shaped plasterwork above. Kitchen has large fireplace with a
beehive oven. C17 panelling brought in from other buildings this century.
History: once a rest house for Fountains Abbey, later belonging to Bolton
Priory. Purchased by Sir Wm Milner in 1928, who designed the additions.
Given to the Walsingham Trust in 1960. Country Life, October 25 1962,
'A New Role for a Wharfedale Hall', Bernard Wood pp 1039.