© Mr Neil Holliday
CHURCH OF ST ALKEDA, CHURCH STREET (north side)
GIGGLESWICK, CRAVEN, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Mr Neil Holliday
01 April 2007
20 February 1958
Date of last amendment:
20 February 1958
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
GIGGLESWICK CHURCH STREET
Church of St Alkelda
Parish church. Late C14/early cls with mid-C15 tower. Restored 1890-92 by Paley
and Austin. Squared stone, stone dressings, stone slate and lead roof. PerpendL
cular style. South porch, 3 stage west tower, 5 bay nave, north and south aisles,
one bay north and south side chapels, one bay chancel. Gabled south entrance porch
has double chamfered surround, basket arch and hoodmould with spiral stops; diagonal
buttresses. Double chamfered segmental pointed arch to nave entrance plank door
and strap hinges. Tower: west entrance has basket arch and hoodmould; trefoil heads
to 3-light window above, rectilinear tracery. Second stage string course and single
light chamfered window with trefoil head. Deeply chamfered trefoil headed louvred
window to bell stage. Gargoyle; embattled parapet; crocketted finials. Diagonal
buttresses and projecting stair turret on south side; clock-face on east side.
Nave: four 2-light windows and hoodmoulds to clerestory and 2 similar windows closely
spaced at east end of 1890-92; parapet. Side aisles have 3 light windows with hood-
moulds; parapet. Taller, former north chapel (now houses organ) has 3-light window
and south chapel has two similar windows and double chamfered segmental pointed
arched entrance with sundial and gnomon in parapet above. One bay chancel is lower
than nave and has tall east window of 6 lights with trefoil heads and hoodmould.
Gable end parapet of 1890-92. Interior: octagonal shafts to pillars in north and
south arcades, pointed arches; base of 2 pillars formed from reused Romanesque
capitals. Roof of 1890-92. Alms box dated 1684 and inscribed 'Remember the Pore'
on pillar in south arcade. Octagonal base to font, early C15. Formerly 3-now
2-decker pulpit and reading desk, both of 1680. Brass candelabra of 1718 in nave.
South wall: plaster tablet to Richard Frankland, (1698), non-conformist founder
of Rathmell Academy, now College Fold, Rathmell (q.v). North wall: marble memorial
by Leyland and Bromley, Halifax, to George Birbeck (1776-1841) founder of Mechanics'
Institutes. Chancel: oak communion rail with bobbin balusters of c 1675.
Source: W A Shuffrey, The Churches of the Deanery of North Craven (Leeds, 1914)