You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 323942  

Print Page

© Mr Stewart Cardwell

IoE Number: 323942
Location: FLASBY HALL,
Photographer: Mr Stewart Cardwell
Date Photographed: 19 March 2003
Date listed: 10 September 1954
Date of last amendment: 10 September 1954
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.


SD 95 NW FLASBY WITH WINTERBURN FLASBY 3/4 Flasby Hall 10.9.54 GV II Large house, c1843-44. Possibly by George Webster of Kendal. Sandstone ashlar, slate roof. Italianate style. Formerly 2 storeys, 9 bays with attached 3 storey tower, now 2 storeys, 4 bays, after partial demolition c1979. Asymmetrical (north) entrance front: 2 storeys, 3 bays. Left of centre projecting entrance porch has massive Gibbs surround and flanking pilasters, 2-leaf 3-panel door. Left-hand ground floor window has sill brackets, right-hand ground floor and upper floor windows have moulded architraves, upper floor sill band. Left of centre upper floor window has projecting eared architrave, left-hand upper floor Venetian window. Sashes to all windows except Venetian window which has fixed lights. Right-hand quoins. Remaining bays to left now demolished. Right-hand (west) gable end, 2 storeys, 3 bays. Projecting central pedimented bay has ground floor French window with moulded architrave and consoles to hood. Upper floor: 2-light round headed window with moulded arches, set within recessed panel; 8-pane sashes. Blind round- headed window with rusticated voussoirs within tympanum. Flanking ground floor and upper floor windows have moulded surrounds and sashes; hoods and sill brackets to ground floor, sill band to upper floor. Chamfered quoins; modillions to comic and tympanum. Ridge stack to pediment and 2 ridge stacks to hipped roof. Garden (south) front, 2 storeys, 4 bays contains projecting right-hand entrance porch, round head, 2-leaf, 3-panel doors and fanlight. 3 ground floor and 4 upper floor windows have moulded surrounds and sashes; hoods and sill brackets to ground floor, sill band to upper floor. Remaining bays to right now demolished. Interior contains geometrical stair with iron stick balusters and wreathed handrail.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.