You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32452  

Print Page



© Mr David J Lewis LRPS

IoE Number: 32452
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY,
  COMPTON DANDO, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr David J Lewis LRPS
Date Photographed: 15 August 1999
Date listed: 01 February 1956
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1956
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 66 SWCOMPTON DANDOChurch of St Mary6/39

ST 66 SW COMPTON DANDO Church of St Mary 6/39 1.2.56 G.V. II* Anglican parish church. C14, altered C15 and subsequently; chancel restored 1735 and 1905, porch restored 1793, north aisle rebuilt 1820 and vestry added in 1840. Consists of west tower, nave and south porch, north aisle, chancel and vestry. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; roofs concealed behind ashlar parapets, embattled to the chancel. West tower of 3 stages, ashlar to the lowest stage; with diagonal buttresses, plain embattled parapet with gargoyles and pinnacles; 2-light plain windows to second stage and cusped windows with Somerset tracery, that on the east side has a Katherine wheel in the lower part; tall 4-light perpen- dicular style west window, with cusped ogee heads to panels and sexfoil light above; west doorway with 4-centred head and carved leaf spandrels; projecting polygonal stairtower to north-east, spirelet. Nave with clerestorey; 3-light C19 perpendicular style windows with cinquefoil heads and under square hoodmoulds and relieving arches; 2- and single-light cinquefoil headed lights to clerestorey; rainwater head at south-west dated TB/1783. Square south porch with parapet and datestone of 1793; restored ogee and hollow moulded door surround. Chancel: 2- light mullion and transom late perpendicular style windows (all C19 or C20); 3- light curvilinear style east window; datestones of 1735 and 1905. North-east buttress of the church incorporates a decorated stone probably from a Roman altar at Bath: 2 niches, each with a figure, one is said to be Hercules and the other Apollo. Interior: Tall tower arch of two wave mouldings. North arcade of 2 bays with piers of alternating hollows and shafts, the capitals and abaci are treated as a strip; double chamfered arches. Pulpit and font of 1883. Monuments. Brand, died 1731, inscribed plaque in enriched border with cherubs, skulls and vegetation. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, 1958.)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.