You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32470  

Print Page



© Mr David J Lewis LRPS

IoE Number: 32470
Location: MANOR HOUSE,
  COMPTON DANDO, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr David J Lewis LRPS
Date Photographed: 30 August 1999
Date listed: 01 February 1956
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1956
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 66 NWCOMPTON DANDOQUEEN CHARLTON2/52Manor House1.2.56II*

ST 66 NW COMPTON DANDO QUEEN CHARLTON 2/52 Manor House 1.2.56 II* G.V. Manor house. C16, altered and extended early - mid C18 and c.1857. In 3 parts with the 2 older sections at the left (north). At the left is a 3 bay section of rubble and coursed square freestone with a hipped pantile roof behind a tall brick parapet ornamented with pineapple finials. 2 storeys and attics. Three 18-pane thick glazing bar sash windows, in moulded architraves on ground floor; the southern bay is set back and has a 2-light chamfered mullion window on the first floor. The centre section is rendered with a pantiled roof behind a moulded parapet with gadrooned urn finials. 2 storeys. 3 bays: 18-pane thick glazing bar sash windows in moulded architraves. Central panelled and glazed door under a plain arcaded overlight and in a doorcase with pilasters and an open segmental pediment with a central urn. the C19 right wing is rubble with freestone dressings and a mansard pantiled roof. Single storey and attics in 5 modern dormers. Four 2-light cross windows on ground floor with pointed heads to the glazing bars and in moulded architraves. Irregular rear elevation of squared freestone. 2 storeys with attics in steep gables which have greyhound finials. 4 bays, 18-pane thick glazing bar sash windows under dripmoulds. Door off-centre to left. Fragments of mediaeval carving set in the walls. 3 bay section at right with southern part recessed; eagle and pineapple finials on parapet; thick glazing bar sash windows and large sashes in brick surrounds. Interior. Hall in the centre is C16 with a hollow and ogee moulded freestone fireplace with a segmental head; above is an overmantel of re-assembled carving with birds, vines, wheat ears, trumpet and a crook with large side volutes (said to be from a Bristol house); moulded beams with thin moulded ribs in a diamond pattern and bulbous pendants in the spaces. Dining room and library have heraldic glass; heraldic cornice, dated 1857, to library - Morning room (to centre rear) has fielded panelling and a ceiling similar to the hall but with Tudor roses at the interstices and without pendants. Open well stair with panelled dado and turned balusters.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.