You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32596  

Print Page



© Mr David J Lewis LRPS

IoE Number: 32596
Location: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD
  NORTON MALREWARD, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr David J Lewis LRPS
Date Photographed: 31 May 2000
Date listed: 21 September 1960
Date of last amendment: 21 September 1960
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 66 NWNORTON MALREWARDCHURCH ROAD2/172Church of Holy Trinity21.9.60II

ST 66 NW NORTON MALREWARD CHURCH ROAD 2/172 Church of Holy Trinity 21.9.60 II G.V. Parish church. Late C12, altered (tower) C15 and rebuilt 1860-61 by James Wilson of Bath. Consists of west tower, nave, south aisle, chancel and north vestry. Coursed squared rubble with freestone dressings, slate roof. West tower of 2 stages with diagonal buttresses to the lower stage, embattled ashlar parapet and pinnacles; single Perpendicular style bell chamber window with quatrefoil pierced vent; 3-light Perpendicular style west window. Nave and south aisle have three 2-light plain Perpendicular style windows with buttresses between (1860s); enriched corbels with arms and symbols. 3-light east window. Interior. 3 bay arcade to south aisle with squat granite columns and elaborate foliate capitals. Restored late C12 chancel arch of 2 orders, the outer one with twisted colonettes enriched with beading, scalloped capitals, nailhead zig-zag moulding; outer moulding of large beads. Font: C12, cylindrical stem and recut top. Monuments: Tower: man and wife, c.1325 with heads in relief on a lid. C15 slab with a pair of foliated crosses. Chancel: Robert Paine, died 1720, inscribed oval tablet. Nave: Adams family, 1766, inscribed marble plaque under broken pediment with arms.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.