You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 326166  

Print Page



© Mr John Turner

IoE Number: 326166
Location: HESLINGTON ANGLICAN AND METHODIST CHURCH, FIELD LANE (north side)
  HESLINGTON, YORK, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Turner
Date Photographed: 31 January 2001
Date listed: 14 March 1986
Date of last amendment: 14 March 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for: North Yorkshire Selby HESLINGTON FIELD LANE 5342 SE 65 SW (North Side) Heslington Anglican and Methodist Church 1/54 II The description shall be amended to read: Church. 1858 by J B and W Atkinson for G and A M Lloyd, enlarged by R G Sims with addition of church rooms to north in 1973. Sandstone ashlar with magnesian limestone dressings and grey slate roof. West tower, 5-bay nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel. Gothic Revival. 3-stage tower surmounted by broach spire. Angle buttresses with off-sets. Moulded plinth. 1st stage band interrupted to west facade by 3-light window with reticulated tracery to head. Trefoiled lights to north and south. Second stage band. Twin-light bell-openings under hoodmould. Lucarnes. Nave: angle buttresses. Plinth. South porch to 2nd bay with pointed entrance, a glazed oak double door in architrave with nook shafts and roll-moulding to head. Two-light windows with reticulated tracery under hoodmoulds. Moulded eaves band with gargoyle rainwaterheads. Ashlar coping to gables. Chancel: angle buttress with set-offs. Plinth. Steps to 4-centred doorway under continuous hoodmould. 2-light windows with traceried heads. Eaves band. Gargoyle rainwaterhead. Ashlar coping to gable end. 5-light east window has reticulated tracery. Plain interior. On plaques to tower exterior: 'THIS CHURCH/ REBUILT AND ENLARGED/1858/BY GEORGE AND ALICIA MARIA LLOYD/OF STOCKTON HALL' and 'THIS CHURCH/WAS REDEVELOPED/AND REFURNISHED/1973/BY THE/HESLINGTO14/CiiURCHES PROJECT'. Pevsner, York and The East Riding, 1978, p.250. ------------------------------------ NORTH YORKSHIRE SELBY HESLINGTON FIELD LANE 5342 SE 65 SW (north side) 1/54 Heslington Anglican and Methodist Church GV II Church. 1858 by J B and W Atkinson for G and AM Lloyd, with church rooms to north of 1973. Sandstone ashlar with magnesian limestone dressings and grey slate roof. West tower, 5-bay nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel. Gothic Revival. 3-stage tower surmounted by broach spire. Angle buttresses with off-sets. Moulded plinth. 1st stage band interrupted to west facade by 3-light window with reticulated tracery to head. Trefoiled lights to north and south. Second stage band. Twin-light bell-openings under hoodmould. Lucarnes. Nave: angle buttresses. Plinth. South porch to 2nd bay with pointed entrance a plank door in architrave with nook shafts and roll-moulding to head. Two-light windows with reticulated tracery under hoodmoulds. Moulded eaves band with gargoyle rainwaterheads. Ashlar coping to gables. Chancel: angle buttress with set-offs. Plinth. Steps to 4- centred priest's doorway under continuous hoodmould. 2-light windows with traceried heads. Eaves band. Gargoyle rainwaterhead. Ashlar coping to gable end. 5-light East window has reticulated tracery. Plain interior. On plaques to tower exterior: 'THIS CHURCH / REBUILT AND ENLARGED / 1858 / BY GEORGE AND ALICIA MARIA LLOYD / OF STOCKTON HALL' and 'THIS CHURCH / WAS REDEVELOPED / AND REFURNISHED / 1973 / BY THE / HESLINGTON CHURCH PROJECT'. Originally dedicated to St. Paul. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, p.250.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.