You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 326185  

Print Page



© Mr John Turner

IoE Number: 326185
Location: HESLINGTON HALL, UNIVERSITY ROAD (west side)
  HESLINGTON, YORK, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Turner
Date Photographed: 31 January 2001
Date listed: 01 November 1955
Date of last amendment: 01 November 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HESLINGTONUNIVERSITY ROADSE 65 SW(west side)1/73Heslington Hall1.11.55

HESLINGTON UNIVERSITY ROAD SE 65 SW (west side) 1/73 Heslington Hall 1.11.55 GV II* Country house now part of York University. 1565-1568 for Sir Thomas Eynns with rebuilding of 1852-4 and later additions and alterations. C19 rebuilding by P.C. Hardwick for Yarburgh Yarburgh. c.1903 interior by W. Brierley. Red brick in English bond with sandstone ashlar dressings and some Magnesian limestone ashlar blocks of core exposed to rear, plain tile roof. Centre of 2 storeys with basement and attics, 9 bays and wings of single-bay, 2 storeys with basement and attics, then 2 storeys with 6 first floor windows. Centre: flight of steps to central entrance in porch which is a reproduction of original (q.v.), with round keyed arch on pilasters between pairs of fluted Corinthian columns supporting frieze and triangular pediment with finials to sides and centre. C20 glazed double doors in 4- centred arch with moulded surround. Mainly 2 and 3-light cavetto-moulded mullion and mullion and transom windows in ashlar surrounds except to 2nd and 8th bays which are canted to 1st floor and have 5-light, 2-storey mullion windows with 4 levels of transoms. 1st and 2nd floor bands. Low parapet with three gables, the centre of which is ornamented by coat of arms. Ashlar kneelers, coping and finials. Wings: plinth. End and off- centre entrances in 4-centred surrounds. 2-light mullion and 2 and 3-light mullion and transom windows throughout in ashlar surrounds. 1st and 2nd floor bands. Low parapet. Central gables contain clock and sundial. Ashlar coping and ball finials to gables and gable ends. Mainly clusters of star-shaped stacks. Cast-iron rainwater heads and fall-pipes. Interior: C16 pendant boss ceiling to hall of 2 storeys in height. Several rooms have panelling with strapwork decoration and moulded plaster ceilings by W. Brierley. Inscription to gable to Heslington Lane side (ie south wing rear). - (not visible) - (not visible) ONE OF QUEEN ELIZABETH'S COUNCIL FOR THE NORTHERN PART OF ENGLAND AND SECRETARY AND KEEPER OF HER MAJESTY'S SEAL FOR THE SAID COUNCIL A.D. 1578 IT WAS RESTORED ALTERED AND ENLARGED BY YARBURGH YARBURGH ESQUIRE A.D. 1854 J. P. Neale engraving of 1829 shows that the Victorian restoration was faithful to the original. Eynns was Secretary of the King's Council in The Northern Parts. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire: York and The East Riding, 1978, p. 251. Hey, D., Buildings of Britain 1550-1750, Yorkshire, 1981, pp.22-4.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.